Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Charged for Petty Theft BF commited Warrant 4 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

LorettaO

My jurisdiction is: FL, Sumter County

Back in 2004 my boyfreind made me take him to a job site where he had been working because he wanted to steal some plants. He would not take no for an answer and I became frustrated and took him. While there he stole 4 landscaping plants. Someone saw him and called the police. We were in a drive thru of a fast food resturant when a deputy pulled up behind me. The deputy got out of his car, came up to the passenger side of my vehicle and was screaming at me where did I get those plants. I looked at my bf and he isn't saying a word, the deputy is still screaming. I was scared, didn't know what to do and I initially lied to the officer. He told me to park and then he asked me and my boyfriend and I to get out of the vehicle, he seperated us and I told him the truth about everything. He told me to write a statement which I did. My boyfriend also wrote a statement, but he lied. Some people from the development where the job site was located came and picked up the plants and the deputy let us leave. I guess they had said they didn't want to press charges, I'm not sure. My boyfriend was arrested in 2005 in Marion County and this warrant from Sumter County came up. He was sentenced to prison for the crime in Marion County, Sumter County had a detainer on him. While in prison he filed a motion to get the petty theft charge taken care of and the state replied with Administrative Nolle Prosequi stating that because the warrant was more than 2 years old and had never been served that the charges were being disposed of and the warrant recalled. Then 12/18/08 I was stopped by a police officer for failing to pull far enough away from an officer who had a vehicle stopped on the side of the road. He ran my info and this warrant came up on me from Sumter County for Petit Theft under $100. I was taken to the Lake County Jail. My mother posted a cash bond of $500 immediately. Sumter County made me wait 8 hours before they decided I would be allowed to bond out, then I had to wait another hour for them to accept the bond. I have lived in the same address 18 years, never been in trouble with the law before, I have visited my boyfriend in jail and prison where they run your info and do background checks before you are allowed to visit. This warrant never came up until now. First I don't understand why I am being charged and second since they disposed of the charges against my boyfriend wouldn't they have to do the same for me? I went to arraingment today, I had written a letter to the judge with the same information I have provided here along with a copy of the Administrative Nolle Prosequi. I was hoping to get this taken care of today, but I pled not guilty and was sent to the public defender's office. What are my rights and do I have a case against Sumter County? Also, I am disabled and recieve a SS check monthly and my home is under a government subsidy. Can those benefits be effected by this?

Last edited:
You helped your boyfriend commit a crime, not to mention you still visit him even though he dragged you into this totally? Why are you still with your boyfriend? Sorry buy your boyfriend is bad news and you should realize this by now. So why is your boyfriend in jail is this related for this theft or something totally unrelated? Your boyfriend cannot be trusted, how do you know charges were dropped in this? You need to talk to your public defender.

You helped your boyfriend commit a crime, not to mention you still visit him even though he dragged you into this totally? Why are you still with your boyfriend? Sorry buy your boyfriend is bad news and you should realize this by now. So why is your boyfriend in jail is this related for this theft or something totally unrelated? Your boyfriend cannot be trusted, how do you know charges were dropped in this? You need to talk to your public defender.
I am no longer with him. The only reason I visited him, was because his daughter begged me to go. He is in prison an unrelated crime. Before he went to prison I repeatedly told him to go, he wouldn't leave. I called the cops to get him out and they said he didn't have to leave if he didn't want to. The courts won't help you unless there is violence. You can't even begin to know the hell I've been through because of this man. I know that the charges against him were disposed of because he sent me a copy of the paper he recieved from the state, and as I stated in my post, I sent a copy of this paper to the judge. I also checked with the Clerk of Court to make sure the document was on file. I think Sumter County needs money so they are going after anyone and everyone they can. I DID NOT help my boyfriend commit the crime. I guess you would have had to been there.

I DID NOT help my boyfriend commit the crime.

That is not what you said in your first post:

Back in 2004 my boyfreind made me take him to a job site where he had been working because he wanted to steal some plants. He would not take no for an answer and I became frustrated and took him.

Back in 2004 my bf MADE me take him. I did not want to go. I protested loudly. It wasn't enough to destroy his life he had to destroy mine too. NO ONE WOULD HELP ME GET THIS MAN OUT OF MY HOME. I was seeing a therapist and told her about all that was going on. She told me to get these people out of my house. I told her I had tried everything, even called the police. She didn't believe me so she called the sheriff department herself and they told her the same thing. You just don't know the whole story, and I don't know if this is the place to tell it. Still, don't I have the same rights? Don't they have to dispose of the charges against me? They said because the warrant was more than 2 years old... it was even older when the arrested me. Sumter County is in for a hell of a fight. If they want to take a petty theft case to trial... so be it.

Last edited:
I came to this site because I need guidance. You don't know my situation, so please do not judge me or belittle me. This does not help at all. I've had many years of pure hell. It's not just this man, it's his entire family and I had no idea what I was getting into until it was too late. I have lost everything that meant anything to me and I'm not talking about material things. You don't know the heartache I live with everyday so don't be so quick to point your finger.

Just because you were "made" to do something doesn't mean you didn't do it.

If someone points a gun to your head, and tells you to drive through a flock of nuns or else he'll kill you, and you do it, you are still to blame for the damage you cause.

The "he made me do it" defense pretty much died after World War II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back