cell phone unlocking

Kaldric

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I dont know any of this but can a carrier force a person to wait a certain number of days before they will unlock a phone? I ask becausae a friend is trying to switch carriers. its a pre-paid phone (tracfone I think) and they are saying that she has to wait so many days before they will unlock it. is this legal even though she paid for the phone?

I dont know any of this but can a carrier force a person to wait a certain number of days before they will unlock a phone? I ask becausae a friend is trying to switch carriers. its a pre-paid phone (tracfone I think) and they are saying that she has to wait so many days before they will unlock it. is this legal even though she paid for the phone?
Is it legal? Yes.
Are they allowed to do that on a contractual basis? It depends on the contract she agreed to when she purchased the phone.

its a pay as you go. like straight talk.
Yes, that's what I imagined when you said it was a "pre-paid phone" in your original post.
Your friend agreed to certain terms when she purchased the phones. That "agreement" is a "contract". She will need to refer to her contract to find the answer to her question.
These "agreements"/"contracts" are sometimes also referred to as the "terms of service".

I dont know any of this but can a carrier force a person to wait a certain number of days before they will unlock a phone?

I'm at a loss to envision a circumstance in which a carrier would have any obligation to unlock a phone (whether within a certain number of days or ever). Is there some sort of contract between the carrier and the person that imposes such an obligation?

Consumer Reports, a nonprofit consumer organization, has an article on unlocking your cell phone that may help your friend make the switch. It still may not be instantaneous, however.

Back