Consumer Law, Warranties Cell Phone Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rene

My jurisdiction is: North Carolina

I have had the same cell phone company since 1993. I started with them while living in Florida. I recently moved to NC. I drove to the nearest store, which was over an hour away, to have our numbers switched to local numbers as to avoid the roaming and long distance charges. I live up in the mountains and the service is not good. No problems in Florida. Because I switched to local phone numbers in July, this started a new 2 year contract for my 3 phones. The communication issue was not that big of a deal w/ dropped calls and no service in certain areas until recently when I started back to work. I am in the banking business and rely heavily on my cell phone. When a client calls and is dropped, or I can't reach a client due to no service, it seriously affects my business. I have tried to explian this to the company, but they say they will not let me out unless I pay the $200.00 per line early termination fee. My question to you is this-my cell phone company is being bought out by another company at the end of this year. I have heard that if the "company" makes a change, that I do not have to accept it, such as in this case. I need to get out of this and can't pay the $600. Do you know if this might be my way out? I absolutely can't stay with them even though I have been with them so long. The service where I live now is unacceptable. Thanks for your response!

The fact the company is being bought probably does not give you an out. Your contract is with the company, doesn't matter who the owners are. If it's a takeover where you're going to be switched to a new provider, then maybe you have an out. You'd need to check your contract. I would not be surprised to find that this doesn't provide grounds for termination either, and the provider can transfer your contract to the new company.

You might want to check out sites like cellrelief.com, adioswireless.com, etc. that enable you to sell your cell contract to someone else.

Thank you for your response. It is a TAKEOVER by another cell phone company. Sorry for not clarifying that. I can't even recall the last time I saw a contract. Whenever changes are made, a new contract is never given in physical form. Do you think I could request a copy and that they would supply it? Lesson learned huh?! If anyone else has any useful info for me I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Well, if they want you to pay, they better have a copy of the agreement. :) Frankly I wouldn't hold out much hope that you could get out because of the change, but it's worth checking.

If you haven't checked out those "sell your plan" sites yet, it could be worth your while. You don't get off scot free, but it's much better than paying a $200 cancellation fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back