Caught Speeding for Avoiding Large Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyang415

I got my ticket in San Francisco while I was heading back from the East Bay in the far right lane. I was almost off the bridge when a large 16 wheeler signals to switch lanes into mine. At this point, I was in the middle of the truck and initially got worried, so I let out a signaling honk of my horn in hopes he'd hear me. However, he did not, and was slowly switching into my lane. As a safety reaction, I honked and I gunned it and went past the truck before a serious accident occurred. The truck stayed in its original lane and I was safe. I then returned to a safe speed. Just as I finished, a cop pulled me over for speeding. He wrote me down for 71 when the speed sign was 50. I would say my conduct was necessary to avoid harm and was wondering if I could get any advice/feedback on contesting this ticket. Any help would be appreciated.

That doesn't help answering my question at all.. And what do you mean "the officer had no issues with the truck's operation?" He cut in to follow me and at that point was in front of the truck. He probably didn't even know it was there.

That doesn't help answering my question at all.. And what do you mean "the officer had no issues with the truck's operation?" He cut in to follow me and at that point was in front of the truck. He probably didn't even know it was there.

You rarely beat a citation in court.

Have you investigated traffic school?

Traffic school can erase all stains, if it is allowed.

not even if my motive for breaking the law was for self-preservation? I did traffic school a year ago because i had a speeding ticket that i admitted guilt to and ate, but this one is under different circumstances. I don't want a point and insurance rates to go up because I was speeding for my own safety.

If you had to exceed the speed limit to pass the truck then you should not have passed.
YOU say it was necessary but you wont be able to convince a judge of that.
A more reasonable reaction would have been to slow down. Increasing speed is never safer.
You may be able to get the citation reduced, but you wont get it dismissed.

isnt slowing down way under the speed limit also against the speed signs? I was more towards to front of the truck as well. It wouldve taken even longer to slow down that much and still have been safe.

Good luck, only a judge in CA has the authority to rule. Make your argument in court, and get ready to eat an even bigger meal!!!

No, slowing down is not illegal.
Driving continuously at a slow speed and impeding traffic could be.
You wont beat this. You should have spent less time honking and more time braking.
Focus on trying to reduce it. Reduced or not, you are going to take a hit on your insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back