Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft caught shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtfbubbles

age 19, got caught shoplifting an item worth 13 dollar, went to the back room filled out some paper my finger got printed on one of the paper, believe the guy was a security guard and not a cop, done filling out paper work he said it can take from a month to a year for my fine to come, if it doesn't come in a year to not worry about it. would this be in my records? do is just pay the fine and get moving on with my life?

Sounds like Civil Demand. If that is case the only record will be with the store and any retail theft database they might subscribe to

Whether or not potential employers will find out I cannot say. What I am saying is if you have not gone to court or were not charged criminally nothing will show on a criminal background check

so if they were to asked if i convicted a crime would i put yes? btw i wrote down my driver lic too would my insurance go up for this?

so i just need to pay for the fine if there is a fine and just move on with my life and nothing big to worry about correct?

ok im confuse now, soo they brought me to the back room and did some paper work but there was no police there. does that mean that, thats the report they're filing to the police and that it will be in my criminal background? so therefore if a work that was to hire me and do a background check it wouldn't be clear/good? but if they were to ask if i convicted a crime or whatever i would but no because i didn't go to court?

but i didn't get a court date. they only told me wait from a month to a year for the fine to come and thats it. so what does that mean. am i charged criminally and that it would appear on my background check?

ok, one more question, how do i know if they file a criminal report or not? sorry for soo much question and being confuse because this is the first time it happened to me

Questions are what this site is more ask away. If criminal charges are filed (unlikely at this point) you will be contacted by Police about it

Here is the deal. I will hold a little lesson on getting caught shoplifting.

There are two parts to shoplifting - Criminal/Civil.

Criminal
Shoplifting is a crime. You can go to jail. The easiest way to do this is for the store to call the police, the police show up, run you in the system, write a police report and either charge you themselves, or have the store go to the commissioner to take out charges for theft on you.

If the police charge you, you will get a piece of paper from them with your court date and the offense you were charged with.

If the store has to go to the commissioner to charge you, you will receive a letter in the mail (at the address you provided them) that will detail what you are charged with and the steps you have to follow. You will most likely have to show up on your own accord to the commissioner, they process you and give you your charging documents.

Now it is up to you to get a lawyer or figure a way to defend yourself against the charges.

Just because the police do or do not show up has no bearing on whether or not you can or will be charged.Sometime cops show up and do not charge you, they simply verify your identity. If you have valid identification and the amount stolen is small, there is no reason for the police to come, the security guys can/will file charges later.

Civil

This will be a fine mailed to you often from a third party on behalf of the retailer. Usually the fine is the amount of the merchandise PLUS a significant amount of money. Maryland is two times the amount of the merchandise taken, minimum of $50, max of $1000. PA is the amount of merchandise PLUS $150. Etc.

Pay the fine however you want. Payment arrangements, money order, check, credit card. IF you do not pay, they can take you to civil court and they will win. They only need to have a small burden of proof to win in these cases. My suggestion is to work out with them how you are going to pay. They want their money so if you pay $20 a month they are happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back