Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught shoplifting, they have my wrong address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theft/pilferage etc. does effect prices.
Failure to collect on civil demands does not.

I would presume that more often than not the retailer sells the information to a debt collector. If anything is ever paid it goes to that agency/attorney, not the retailer. I would be very interested in a study that tracks the whole process from beginning to end and provides some insight on actual damage/loss vs the amount collected and accounts for where the money goes.

Theft/pilferage etc. does effect prices.
Failure to collect on civil demands does not.

I would presume that more often than not the retailer sells the information to a debt collector. If anything is ever paid it goes to that agency/attorney, not the retailer. I would be very interested in a study that tracks the whole process from beginning to end and provides some insight on actual damage/loss vs the amount collected and accounts for where the money goes.

Monies spent to prevent theft.

an average Loss Prevention Officer makes slightly over min wage (lets say $10.00) and works around 20 hours a week. Most big box retailers have a min of four LP. the LPM (Loss Prevention Manager makes slightly more than that but lets say its $12.00 based on experience. CCTV etc cost thousands. Filing and recording of paperwork has costs. Training has costs. There are extra cost depending on retailer. None of this adds to sales or profits its protection. On top of that nationally retailers lose over 15 Billion to shoplifting alone and thats not the bulk of lost. Internal is biggie. How does store absorb this and stay profitable? Simple.

Higher prices
Reduced staff
Reduce benefits
Reduce hours to staff

All fall on the innocent. Civil Demand was put in place to reduce some of the impact theft on retailers.

That's nothing new.
The money received by demand does not lower prices though. The bulk of money paid by demand goes to the collector. The loss effects prices, not recovery.

Effective prevention and reduced shrinkage are more relevant factors, but still very small ones. There is far more loss that occurs than what $10/hr employees catch between smoke breaks, so relying on civil demand to lower costs and pay wages and benefits is not practical.

Yes, that is the intent of civil demand laws, but those laws have no effect without a court order behind them. Until a person is ordered to pay by a court with jurisdiction over the matter they do not owe. It is not illegal to ignore a demand letter from some hired goon.

You often like to state "it's the law", but it seems to me you might not recognize there is no force behind that law unless/until the matter is heard in court and an order is given (that is also the law). It is not financially feasible to pursue everyone who fails to pay, and most can disregard the demand without consequence. Those who have something to worry about know who they are.

There is nothing to gain from a small timer like we have here. This person can ignore the letter and if by some miracle faces a criminal charge could still avoid prosecution. The hired goons could make huge demands for payment, but the court would have final say over what is reasonable. The goons know they won't get the full amount they demand in court which is why they rely on intimidation tactics with their letters. The suckers who pay make it worthwhile and profitable.

MightyMoose, you're clearly into stealing things also with your POV being so skewed. You are giving some really terrible advice. The OP DID commit criminal acts and should be completely horrified and never do it again. Case closed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The matter of your address is irrelevant. If they ever do manage to send you anything you generally should do nothing to acknowledge receipt of it. You have no legal obligation to pay anything they demand. Don't be build by their scam. The matter is over unless you choose to play the game.
Criminal charges are incredibly unlikely at this point, especially after making a civil agreement with you. If they do anything at all it will be in civil court, no criminal, and the tiny amount in question here is not economically reasonable for them to pursue.

Oh come on... The manner in which a person handles their mail is hardly a legal issue.
You can toss anything that arrives in the mail without consequence. Anything that requires attention will be served by specific means.... although some things can arrive via mail by substitute service, but will also be delivered by another method.
Most of my own mail goes directly into the trash unopened.

If it isn't an official summons to court it doesn't require any action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back