Caught shoplifting No police

Angie_kinmel

Jurisdiction
New York
Hello,

I was caught shoplifting today at a department store and just as I was leaving the usual procedure happened; to men approached me by both sides and told me to come with them. They took me to a small interrogation room and a bunch of other employees were in there watching me. I immediately started hyperventilating and crying because I was terrified and have extreme anxiety. The employee was very kind and told me it was going to be alright as I blubbered things such as "I've never done this before" and was shaking a ton. He told me to empty my pockets and I handed back all the makeup items that I had taken (removed from packaging) and he told me "don't worry we aren't gonna call the police, you'll be out in five minutes you just have to sign some things." They also asked for my ID but I had absolutely no ID on me and they seemed disappointed. I wrote down my phone number and address and signed something but I was too distressed to read what they said they were mostly blank papers just asking for the date. The only information they gathered from me was my name and my phone number and my address, no proof of identification however. The man took a picture of me with his phone, and they told me I could not return to this specific store for one year. He also said specifically "you're not going to get anything in the mail." Can I expect any further consequences?

Further consequences depend on how intimidated you are, but there do not have to be any.
At this point it is extremely unlikely you will ever be contacted by law enforcement or face any criminal action regarding this.
You were told there will be nothing further so just wait and see. Typically a letter will arrive asking you to pay a few hundred dollars as a penalty.
If such a letter does arrive you might consider taking it to a local attorney for a quick consult to decide whether to pay or not. The letter is not a fine or a legal debt- merely a request that you pay. You owe nothing at all unless a court orders you to pay, but their letter will try and intimidate you to avoid the hassle of going court.
The letter may not come though. Time will tell.
If you are a minor you may want to come clean about this to your parents sooner rather than later.

Poor thing. Your criminal behavior didn't upset you though, huh? But getting caught did.

The statute of limitations for petit larceny in New York is two years. That means that, although unlikely, the state has up to two years from the date of offense to charge you.

I'd listen to the store loss prevention people and don't step foot anywhere near that store for a year, at least. Failure to heed that warning and you will end up being charged for the larceny and then in addition criminal trespass.

I was caught shoplifting today at a department store and just as I was leaving the usual procedure happened; to men approached me by both sides and told me to come with them.

I've never done this before and was shaking a ton.

Subject said, "I've never done this before" and was shaking a ton.

However, subject described the apprehension process.

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. If they said NOTHING is coming in mail then I would believe that until you actually get something if you do. If you do I suggest you read and watch the links and video below. If you work retail or plan to I would also be concerned about being placed in a "Retail Theft Database" If not then no worries.

Civil Recovery

Can I expect any further consequences?

No way for anyone here to predict this reliably. You might get charged for your crime. You might not. You might get a civil demand. You might not. You would be well advised not only to stay away from that specific store but also any other locations of the same store (if applicable).

Back