Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught shoplifting at Kohl's. Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetariel

I got caught shoplifting from Kohls yesterday. I have been reading different scenarios of what happened. In some cases, cops were called, while others, cops were not involved. In my case, the cops were not called. The LP made me sign the banned letter and the letter regarding the fine which I think is the "Civil Demand". I am really ashamed and guilty. Many of you said paying the fine won't help but the LP told me that if I paid the fine, that would be the end of everything. I am scared about the cops. They didn't mention anything about cops being involved as of yet. So are they gonna inform the cops? Can they still inform the cops? Should I start looking for a lawyer? Plus my mom wants to talk to the LP and ask them what happened. Should she? Is this going to be a permanent record on my name? What should/can I do now?

There is no reason to call cops long as you pay civil demand in fact in some states its unlawful to file criminal complaint and seek civil demand. The only record should be with store and any retail theft database they might subscribe to. You might consider removing store name for your protection from this post though. If you check your PMs there is info that could tell you in this store is a member of any retail theft database

Yes, paying the demand will likely be the end of it. Obviously it will be your parents asked to pay. Its their choice.
Since you are a juvenile they likely have some ways out of this without paying that don't result in criminal action against you.
As a juvenile, the papers you signed are pretty much useless.

Yes. I know they subscribes to a retail theft database. I am just died worried of what they might do from here on. Thanks for your response.

Last edited:
I am not a juvenile. I am 19. Is the scenario gonna get worse that I am not juvenile?

Ok... the comment about your parents led me to some assumptions.
It is still the same. Either pay and be done with it (expect it to be at least a few hundred dollars), or don't pay. If you don't pay there is a chance they will still make a criminal report and you may eventually have to go to court. You won't be arrested or spend any time in jail for this though.
If you have a clean record it is quite possible you could escape court without a conviction.
It is not cost effective for anyone to pursue you over this, but that doesn't mean they won't do it. From my own perspective, if you had the money to pay the fees they will demand you likely would not have been shoplifting in the first place.
The company that will be contacting you will send you a scary letter threatening legal action and yadda yadda hoping that you will just pay up, because, truthfully, that is how they make profit.
When you receive the letter, and if you find the demanded amount to be excessive, you might do well to have a quick consult with an attorney before deciding whether to pay it or not. You will find mixed responses if you ask around.
Personally, if the store recovered the property and it was not damaged, I would not pay. If for some reason that was not the case I might make them a reasonable offer, but I would never pay the absurd amounts that the will try to scare you with.

Last edited:
That happen to husband he took an iteam of 10 dollars because he tought they had charged him they made sing a civil acknolment an they let pay for iteam well still make pay a fee

Of course, it's useless to say that the time to worry about things like court and civil demands and permanent records is BEFORE you steal, not after.

Damned kids - where do you keep your brains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back