Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Caught shoplift. What happens in court!?

Gigi1234

I got caught shoplifting at kohls with $140 worth of items. Loss prevention caught me after I left the store, but they told me no police would be involved if I cooperated. I came back inside and they took me to a room with cameras in it. A guy took my purse and went through it to collect the items. I apologized and asked what the next step would be. They made me fill out a form banning me from the atone with no expiration date and another saying I'd have to pay a fine in the mail. Then they said the cops were here!!!! I asked why and they guy said we didn't know you stole that much. I panicked but I was very friendly t the cop. He read me my Mirada rights but I told him what happened. Then he arrested me withoout actually handcuffing me because I went in his car and he set my court date to august. I am super worried! I cannot afford an attorney, and I will be away for school only 10 days after my court date so I don't want to have a public defender appointed to me and have to come back. What wills most likely happen in court? I just turned 18 and I have my whole life ahead of me. I'll have my bachelor's degree form a school in the big 10 by 20! It was a stop I'd mistake that I really don't want on my record. Any advice? It will NEVER happen again.

I am a retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Many Attorneys grant free initial consultation I suggest you get a few to arm yourself with knowledge. The PD wont spend much time with you (if any) so you need to to know some stuff. When you meet these Lawyers ask about options be sure to ask if ACD or Diversion is option in your case. Then when you get to court plead not guilty and request public defender

It would have been best if you hadn't named the store in your post - you might want to edit it out. If you can't edit & want us to do so, please let us know/give us your permission.

Back