Catch-22 Birth Certificate

I'm sure most attorneys can do that, but you don't need a lawyer to get a duplicate birth certificate. Just contact the local county clerk or whatever agency handles birth certificates in the county where you were born.

My situation is NYC health department is closed off to the public so I need it mailed. But when I did they rejected it because my id was expired. But now I can't get a new ID without a birth certificate. They said it was a catch-22.

Last edited:
My situation is NYC is closed off to the public so I need it mailed. But when I did they rejected it because my id was expired. But now I can't get a new ID without a birth certificate. They said it was a catch-22.
The sites I gave show other options. Did the state mail you a letter that said that? If yes, then you've already got one of the two documents required.

According to the NY Health Dept website, in lieu of ID you need to submit:

1. Two of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
    • Utility or telephone bill
    • Letter from a government agency dated within the last six months
I'm guessing you can come up with the utility or phone bill easy enough.

And Zigner beat me to the punch about you just getting a letter from a government agency with your name and address on it.

Try it.

It's the city not state. Yes, they rejected it with a slip saying the ID was expired. I tried online but now they require an updated ID with the mailing address matching the residential address on the ID. Now the Dmv wants a birth certificate for a new ID.

According to the NY Health Dept website, in lieu of ID you need to submit:

1. Two of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
    • Utility or telephone bill
    • Letter from a government agency dated within the last six months
I'm guessing you can come up with the utility or phone bill easy enough.

And Zigner beat me to the punch about you just getting a letter from a government agency with your name and address on it.

Try it.

I have proof of address. I have everything including an expired ID and SSN card.

DMV wants a Birth Certificate just for a regular ID.

I don't think I can sign for utility, telephone or have a government letter sent right now because they need an updated ID right?

Last edited:
It's the city not state. Yes, they rejected it with a slip saying the ID was expired. I tried online but now they require an updated ID with the mailing address matching the residential address on the ID. Now the Dmv wants a birth certificate for a new ID.

A copy of a piece of mail addressed to you along with a copy of a utility or phone bill in your name should suffice...

It's the city not state.

Right. Forgot about that. If you were born in one of the five boroughs you have to get it from the city.

NYC gives you quite a few options for ID:

Category 1: Identity documents. Photocopies are permitted for mail orders. If you order in person with Category 1 identity documents, you can leave with your short form certificate in most cases, unless you require a long form certificate.

Please submit any one of the following, if it includes your photo, your signature and is unexpired:

• Driver's License or non-driver's ID from any state or U.S. territory
  • IDNYC — Municipal ID
  • Public benefit card
  • U.S. or foreign passport
  • U.S. certificate of naturalization
  • Military ID card
  • Employee ID with photo, verifiable employer and recent pay stub
  • MTA reduced-fare Metro Card
  • Student ID and current transcript from accredited and verifiable institution
  • Inmate photo ID with release papers
Category 2: Proof of address. If you do not have any of the above, you may provide proof of address as described below. Your certificate will be mailed to address on documents provided.

Two different documents dated within the past 60 days, if they show your name and address

• Utility bills (online bills can be downloaded from your provider)
  • Letter from a government agency
If you cannot provide Category 1 or 2 identification, please contact Vital Records at nycdohvr@health.nyc.gov.

The link in that last sentence opens an email form. It implies that there may be other options available.

By the way, have you asked your parents if they have your birth certificate? (Assuming either are still living.)

Back