Consumer Law, Warranties Cars in auto shop and shope owner wont let me get it out.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dojimizab

Hey my car is in a shop, I had givin them $19,000 about 2 years ago to do work on it. They completed 90 percent of the work. Now they completed this within six months of paying them, the total was $20,300. They told me I COULD NOT pick my car up.. The engines out and there are still parts that havent even been taken out of the box. One part in particular is worth $1,300. So i wanted to pick it up a year and half ago but they said no i couldnt i was willin to leave the axels ($1,300) there untill i paid the rest of bill... The car was broken into while at his shop and some parts were stolen.. there was police report and he told me he wouldnt charge me storage for it being broken into.....now and days he still saying the same thing but now he is trying to sell the engine and says he can say the storage fee is more then engines worth.. so he says either i give him 1300 and get it out or he sells the engine and will slap me with the storage and i get no money back or anything.... Can i just go pick my car up legally?

I would advise against any self help remedies.

The mechanic can claim a mechanic's lien on your property, until you satisfy the bill.

You appear to be disputing the charges.

I'm sure the mechanic's version of events would differ from yours.

You could pay him and then sue for the disputed amount in small claims court. That is often a waste of time and a disappointment.

Your best bet, at this point, might be to get a neutral third party to negotiate for you with the owner.

That might fail, if the owner only wants his cash.

You have nothing to lose by trying that strategy.

Don't try and rescue your car.

It'll end up badly for you.

You appear to have only two options left: pay him his tribute or negotiate a better deal.

Next time, especially for deals like this, get it in writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back