Caribbean University and no W2 this year

Yandorio

I taught at a Medical University in the Caribbean in 2012-2014. I was terminated in April 2014 and left on bad terms, mostly
because they only gave me about 2 hours to clear out my office and offered no explanation.
Their business office is located in Massachusetts. This year I received no W2, only a letter saying how much I made and that
it came from the Caribbean office. I called the IRS and the school said in response I received no wages or income (from Massachusetts.)
Should I be worried? Are they hiding something? What might be their motives to switch gears without explanation?

I have no idea whether the school is hiding something and you probably shouldn't care. At this point I'm guessing that you are aware of the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, which you may qualify since it seems you were employed and working abroad for more than 330 days. IRS Form 2555 - Foreign Earned Income should cover the tax topic adequately.

As to switching gears, I'm assuming that they sent you a W2 earlier. Perhaps you should ask them? :)

Back