"careless driving causing bodily injury"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronica22

About a month ago, I was involved in an accident with a bicyclist. I was going the speed limit, making a left hand turn during a green light. I had my lights, turn signal, seatbelt and eyeglasses on. As I was about finished with the turn, the cyclist came infront of my car from my right. He had a black bike with no reflectors, was wearing very dark clothing, and had no helmet. He was traveling very fast for a bicycle. I don't believe there is any possible way I could have seen him or avoided hitting him.

A week later I was called into the police station where I was issued a ticket for "careless driving causing bodily injury", which is a class 1 misdemeanor. The detective said I should seek some advice, but wouldn't say who I should seek advice from. Every lawyer I've contacted couldn't give me any information. My insurance company isn't able to give me any legal advice either. I'm at the end of my rope.

Do I need a lawyer for my traffic violation? If I do, how can I find a low-cost lawyer? What do I need to anticipate when I go to court (I.E:given my circumstances, should I plan to have someone go with me in case I go to jail)? If there's any advice anyone could offer, it would be greatly appreciated.

Contact your state bar association for names of cheap or free lawyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back