Cardi's Furniture won't honor refund policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennG

I live in Massachusetts and my problem occurred at the Cardi's Furniture store in South Attleboro, MA.

I originally bought a Tempur-pedic mattress at Cardi's that cost a little over $3000 and I hated it. It was very uncomfortable and I couldn't get used to the feel of the memory foam. Since that was a huge sum of money I decided to exchange it. On the salesperson's advice I exchanged it for a Beauty Rest that came in just under $3000 plus I had to pay a $90 fee for exchanging a mattress, which seemed reasonable. Note that the Beauty Rest I bought also contained memory foam but the salesperson insisted that it was different because it had a layer of latex over the memory foam.

You guessed it, I hate the new mattress. It's so bad I'll soon be seeing a chiropractor (not that I would hold Cardi's resposible for that). Although I really didn't want to go back to Cardis again I had no choice. I called them up first to see how long I had to return it and they told me that I couldn't return it. After arguing a bit with them they offered to give me 50% back for it.

Now, I understand that Cardi's can't have people bringing back expensive products over and over again. Obviously, you can't run a business like that. My problem with their refusal is that, first of all they implement the $90 charge to protect themselves against people who would abuse their policy. Second, on the back of their own receipt it says this:

"Bedding: We recommend experiencing your new sleep surface for 30 days to allow your body to adjust, after which time our full money back guarantee applies."

There are no special circumstances listed to limit it to a first purchase and the statement is obviously specific to bedding. Doesn't that allow me to return the mattress?

I tried the mattress for 30 days and called them on the 31st day.

I want to stress that I understand that people work on commission and that they'll be losing money on this, but I wouldn't be returning it if I didn't feel that I had to. I have bought about $50,000 worth of furniture from Cardi's over the past 15 years and this is the first time I found the need to take advantage of their return/exchange policy.

I can't afford to forfeit $1500 and I believe I'm within my rights, based on their own policy, to return or exchange this mattress.

Thanks for any advice,
Glenn

Just want to add to the original post the complete money-back guarantee as stated on the back of my invoice:

MONEY BACK GUARANTEE DETAILS
*Our delivery service charge is assessed for us to pickup the goods and return them to our main distribution center
*Out standard service delivery fee is equal to your original delivery charge or $89.99, whicever is higher.
*In returning your goods all we ask is that the items are in their original condition
*We reserve the right to withhold part of your refund if the goods have been returned to us damaged
*20% deposit for special orders is not refundable
*Refunds are issued within 7 days (14 days for personal checks) of the receipt of goods at our warehouse, and after we have had the opportunity to inspect them.
*Clearance and Commercial purchases excluded.

*Bedding: We recommend experiencing your new sleep surface for 30 days to allow your body to adjust, after which time our full money back guarantee applies.

That's just how it appears on the invoice, asterisks and all. Bedding is a special circumstance because they want give the consumer time to get used to the new mattress instead of returning it after a short period of time. This was explained to me by the salesperson as he also described that there would be a $90 fee to take back mattresses to dissuade consumer from doing it too many times. That's perfectly understandable to me.

This was not a special order, a clearance, or a commercial purchase.

Just an update if anyone is interested. I spoke with Cardi's Corporate Manager of Sales today and he agreed to a full refund or exchange. The call was short and amicable and I never had to bring up the guarantee at all. I guess I just had to escalate the issue above the store level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back