car title

• Thread Starter christine talbot
  • Start date
C

christine talbot

My daughter did her x boyfriend s favor and took out a car loan in her name and him as the co signer.they have been split for a year he's been making the car payment and she wants either her name off the loan or take the vehicle back. Can she do this?

The only way she gets her name off the loan is if he refinances and gets his own loan to cover the balance. There could be a variety of reasons that it won't happen.

1 - The car is worth less than the balance or won't meet the loan to value requirement for a new lender to take a chance.

2 - Given that she "did him a favor" it's likely that he can't qualify for a loan in his own name.

As for her taking the car back, well, that depends on whose name(s) are on the title and how they appear on the title..

Do you know?

My daughter did her x boyfriend s favor and took out a car loan in her name and him as the co signer.they have been split for a year he's been making the car payment and she wants either her name off the loan or take the vehicle back. Can she do this?

Yes, she owns the car IF the car is titled in HER name alone.

If the car is titled in BOTH names, things get murky and complicated.

No one should ever take out a loan as a favor for ANYONE but that person's spouse, and only if KNOW the marriage is going to remain intact.

The simplest, most powerful two letter word word in the English language is NO!!!

People need to use it more, and they would minimize the risks they take for idiots, deadbeats, and bums.

Dating someone doesn't mean you have to pay his or her bills, in fact, people should ONLY pay their bills.

Even if you have $100,000,000, don't make loans, its better to give gifts.

If the bank won't finance a bum, why would I want to take the risk?
I don't, never have, because as my dad used to say, "I'm not a bank. Banks make loans, not friends or family, if you want to remain friends or family."

Read about all the similar stories on this site that relate your daughter's sad tale.
These deadbeats never pay you back, ruin your FICO, bleed you dry, possibly worse.

What if the deadbeat got drunk, killed a family, and demolished a $5,000,000 mansion in the process?

The good guy or good woman, who did a "favor" will feel the brunt of that "favor" for the rest of his or her life, through no fault of theirs.

They most likely co-own the vehicle and they are stuck working it out with each other. If he were able to get a loan on his own then she could sign the vehicle over to him. Not very likely to happen. She can try to buy him out of the vehicle then sell it and pay off the loan. But if he's not willing there is no way to force it.

Back