Car Theft/Negligence

Hksmr2

Jurisdiction
Florida
On Jan 14th my 2012 Lexus ISF was stolen out of my resident parking garage. The car was locked and I had all of the keys. I a complex. REDACTED
The complex has no cameras, no security personnel. I was told by a leasing agent at the complex, right after the first theft, they had the spots for cameras in the garage, but never got them installed. I noticed all of the surrounding garages around my complex have cameras all over their buildings and garages, and there less expensive to live in. But this place isnt? And I told the Office manager of the complex if she could send a mass email out to all residents to keep their eye open for a blue lexus and to make sure to lock their cars and take belongings out because of my recent theft, she never did it. And i realized why she wouldnt, because it would scare tenants and keep them from renewing their lease and keep posssible new tenants from signing leases.

After 3 weeks of no updates from the PD, my claims adjuster told me to walk to the St. Pete PD to request a police report. He need led it for the valuation of my car and he had trouble getting in contact with them to retrieve a report. When I was there, the clerk had told me the car was already recovered in Miami on Jan 19th and canceled out of their system. They did not have an awnser as to why I was not notified 3 weeks ago and the clerk had told me to contact Internal Affairs. I spoke with a detective who said the person who would be in charge of this matter was on vacation, and he would give me a call when hes back. I never heard from anyone.

Esurance tried to contact the Miami PD for a police report for the recovery of the vehicle, and could not get a report from them either. No call backs after voicemails, nothing.Esurance ended up paying to release the car from the tow yard and have it shipped back to st.pete. A few days later I received the car, there was no damage, just all of the belongings takin out of it. I asked esurance what can i do to prevent this from happening again, because the same people could just come right back and do the same thing. They said nothing can be done. So they raised my monthly payment up every month, and they will do so again for something i have no control over? That doesn't sound right to me. So I started parking on the 5th floor(the top) of my garage so i can see my car from my apartment.

On 3/22 my Lexus was stolen AGAIN from the same garage. The car was locked like usual and I still have all of the keys. I had purchased all new stuff that was lost last time (Fishing gear/golf clubs etc) And now as I type this im in the same exact situation. The Complex is not helpful at all and neglects to offer any sort of help and I feel they should have taken preventative measures (such as getting cameras installed/hiring security) before/during or especially AFTER my car was stolen the first time.
The shopping center next to AER apartments hired security because of cars being stolen out of their Publix parking lot and drug abusers passed out in the grass. They took appropriate measures for the public? Why cant my complex protect its residents?

I feel there is negligence somewhere, either with the Aparment complex or if possible the PD, this isnt right. The first theft was i guess bad luck? but the second time within almost a month time frame is ridiculous. The fact I never was notified by the police about the recovery cost me 3 weeks of emotional distress and lots of money. The fact the my car was stolen twice from the same garage and they never installed any security features at complex before/during or especially after I got my car back is an issue.

If you could offer any assitance or perhaps guide me in the right direction that would be great.

Thank you for your time to read,

Matt REDACTED
...REDACTED...

That is the best way to contact me.

Thank you

INFORMATION REDACTED FOR YOUR PROTECTION.
WE DON'T WANT YOU TO BE SPAMMED OR WORSE.
ANOTHER SITE ADMIN

You can move to a safer area, install car alarms, or devices that disable your car and ONLY you can activate.

It is your responsibility to protect the car, not anyone else.
As mentioned above, look into ways to disable the vehicle or equip alarms or tracking system.
Since insurance paid for everything I'm not sure I see you have anything you need to take action on.
I understand the frustration, but this is one of many reasons we have insurance.

Back