Car ruining my credit

Status
Not open for further replies.

satinsmd

I was to cosign on a vehicle for a friend. Instead of being listed as a cosigner, I was listed first and he is listed second as a co-owner. The deal was he was to refinance or trade in the car in 6 months. It has been a year and he has not shown a good payment record on the account at all. He has sent in three checks from accounts that were no longer open and has sent two checks from frozen accounts. I have been told by the finance company that there is nothing I can do because I do not have possession of the car and I am not allowed to do a voluntary repossession without the co-owners authorization. I have also been told that he is allowed the same decision making steps as I am. He was allowed to add two months to the contract by paying a nominal fee. I did not approve the process but was informed that my signature was not needed.
I have attempted to go pick up the car but he has moved and refuses to tell me where he lives now. I do not need nor want the vehicle and cannot afford the car payments due to having my own car. I would like to know what legal avenues I am allowed in attempting to resolve the issue. He is currently 3 months past-due but because he keeps telling the company he will pay there has been no decision made by the finance company to resolve the account.
I just want to get the vehicle out of my name. It is currently messing up my credit and my school loans have been denied because of this issue.

One solution is to pay the loan off.

Another is to sue the bad person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back