Car issues

familyissues

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Hi I would really appreciate some help.
I just moved in with my brother and sister. After a month my siblings purchased a new car when their old one broke down due to my sister .(completely non function-able at the time ) which they offered to sell to me for $1,000, which I have a piece of paper stating the necessary parts needed for repair and them stating "$1000 for the car"in their handwriting , I also have receipts for parts i purchased and images of the mechanic working on the car and screenshots of texts on the prices he charged for labor. Point is the vehicle is now functional and running and their trying to keep the car and not pay me back for the repairs and labor cost that I put in do I have enough evidence to prove my claim?

You probably have enough to win a judgment for the amount you paid, but you won't get the car. When you paid the thousand you should have gotten the title signed over to you.
If they refuse to pay after a small claims judgment you could put a kitl on their vehicle so you eventually get paid when they try to sell it.

You probably have enough to win a judgment for the amount you paid, but you won't get the car. When you paid the thousand you should have gotten the title signed over to you.
If they refuse to pay after a small claims judgment you could put a kitl on their vehicle so you eventually get paid when they try to sell it.
Th
thanks a lot I haven't given them the $1000 for the car yet, they actually have to order a replacement title which they didn't and also they deactivated the plates after taken off the insurance. now I'm a man of my word but I believe in a eye for eye (in this case con for a con) seeing that I could've been purchased another vehicle in the time I wasted would it be completely illegal to claim an abandoned title on the vehicle to try to obtain sole ownership and then pay them the $1000 after a period of mild gloating?

I haven't given them the $1000 for the car yet

You never bought the car then. It was never your car. No, you won't be able to get title now and take it from them.
Your dispute is only over money put in to repairing the vehicle. You still may have some luck pursuing that in small claims if you can produce receipts and support actual expenses.

would it be completely illegal to claim an abandoned title on the vehicle to try to obtain sole ownership and then pay them the $1000 after a period of mild gloating?

I don't know about "illegal" but you would certainly fail because the car isn't abandoned. It's theirs and they have it.

You want the car, sue for specific performance.
You want the money for the parts and labor you paid for, sue for it.

You want an easy way without going to court, there isn't any.

If you aren't willing and able to go to court, then you eat the results of what was an incredibly bad decision to get into this deal in the first place.

Back