Car garnishment

Seeking help

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
I am a waitress/server at cracker barrel and my check is being garnished from a car lot when i was 19/20, i am 37. The car was a lemon and broke down and said car lot hauled off. NOW a garnishment is occurring but car lot is No longer open. Any advice or help/info is greatly appreciated.

Judgments in KY are good for 15 years.

The statute of limitations for a breach of contract lawsuit in KY is also very long. Probably 15 years in your case if the default occurred prior to 2014..

If you were sued less than 15 years ago and the creditor got a judgment, the garnishment is likely to be valid. Even if the car lot is closed, the creditor likely bought the debt from the car lot.

My advice: Go to the courthouse where the garnishment order was issued and get copies of everything in the case file. That material should explain everything that happened. Then come back and report.

Judgments in KY are good for 15 years.

The statute of limitations for a breach of contract lawsuit in KY is also very long. Probably 15 years in your case if the default occurred prior to 2014..

If you were sued less than 15 years ago and the creditor got a judgment, the garnishment is likely to be valid. Even if the car lot is closed, the creditor likely bought the debt from the car lot.

My advice: Go to the courthouse where the garnishment order was issued and get copies of everything in the case file. That material should explain everything that happened. Then come back and report.
Thank you, Im very lost in this scenario, and confused, i will do that and message back thanks slot for input.

Unless you bought the vehicle brand new and went through the lemon law process, then legally it was not a lemon. So since you gave very little detail, let me guess. You bought a used car, it broke down and you abandoned the vehicle and the car lot towed it. If at that point you quit paying on the vehicle, then what happened was a repossession. You were still responsible for any balance owed on the vehicle, less what it sold for a auction, plus costs.

Back