car dealer trying to collect money

Status
Not open for further replies.

jehepijor

I am asking this for a good friend. She is 80 and does not know how to use a computer and has very little money. She bought a truck for her son, who was paying for the truck until he got layed off. They returned the truck to the dealership because they couldn't pay for it. The dealership sold the Truck, but didn't get what was owed. They finally after discussion and corresponsence with her not having money, attached her bank account and took her and her daughters savings of $5000, to help pay the balance of the truck balance. Now, they billed her $20,000 more for lawyers and the rest of the balance of truck. They are putting a lein on her condo. Which she is still paying for and it is worth less that the balance owed. She gets only social security and a small pension from her dead husband. She is in very poor health and can hardly walk. She was going to try to file bankrupcy, but they want to much money to do it. Can the dealership attach her social security or pension. Does she have to do anything. Or, with the lein on the condo, if she dies, does her children have to pay the lein off.

She should speak with an attorney.
She's your good friend, why not help her pay for one?

Her social security and pension can not be levied against.
However, unscrupulous firms often do it anyway.

Hence, my advice, see a lawyer.

She might even be able to get her $5,000 back!

If she can prove it came from social security and pension money, they should not have seized it!

She might also contact social security for advice and guidance.

I thank you for the advise. However, yes she is a good friend, but I've been unemployed since August,2009 and I have 2 of my sons moved in with me who are also unemployed and/or hours cut back, so they had to give up their apartments, and one has a child with him. So, I cannot help her and she most or all of her family are dead. Even her two childen are both unemployed. We live in a small town and we were hit hard. Industries here are not hiring. Her biggest concern is can they take her condo. Or, if she dies, force the kids to sell. However, like I said, the condo is not worth what she owes.

No, they most likely can't take her condo and force it to be sold.

Don't trust what those con-artists say. They lie to trick money out of you. Tell her not to speak with those crooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back