Car Dealer Possible False Advertising?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s5trouble

Hi, I bought a certified pre-owned AUDI in december of 2010. Clear CARFAX report (7 weeks old at the time) was shown to me and car had no accidents on the report. This week I had a potential buyer for the car who pulled CARFAX report and in showed 2 accidents dating back to 2009. This fact reduced the value of the car dramatically.
I called the dealer and they don't want to buy the car back at any price because it has been in the accident, even though they sold it to me 2 months ago as accident free. What are my options? If I decide to sue, what can I expect to pay in legal fees? I'm in Florida. Thanks much.

If you hire an attorney, expect to pay at least $3,500 (maybe $2,500) in legal fees up front.

You might want to consider filing a complaint with the state's attorney general. They might be able to help you for nothing out of your pocket! Florida has a very aggressive state AG's office.

Contact the AG and let them investigate.
Speak with an attorney.
Bring your documents and discuss the case with an attorney.

The initial consultation is normally free.

You can also write a complaint letter to Audi.
Follow that up with a call.
If the car was certified, Audi might help you.

You are going to have to prove that the dealer had knowledge of the accidents and deliberately misled you. If you can't do that I don't expect you will get far.
If the previous owner did not disclose the accidents, and the CARFAX was clear, what knowledge do you believe the dealer withheld?
If they did nothing wrong, why should they buy the car back?
You had opportunity to inspect the vehicle before your purchased it. You did not find any signs of the two accidents either.

Personally, I think you are stuck with the loss on this one. Maybe your best way out is to find a buyer that is not using CARFAX data and is still agreeable to your asking price. There are more buyers out there.

I do expect to take the loss on this deal. I'm not expecting the dealer to buy the car back at original price I paid.
You have to understand that I bought a very expensive car from a high end dealer as certified preowned based on the premise that car had no accidents. Car was advertised as accident FREE!!!
Maybe I'm screwed, and they can certainly deny any responsibility, but I will make sure my case is known on any german car blog and forum and will seek legal council.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back