can't stop collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

magpie

I have a membership at a fitness club and they have been charging my card for my monthly dues. The man that signed me up enterend my card for the monthly dues correct but he made a mistake with the numbers for the other entry for the initiation fee. I never noticed it didnt go through my bank. I received a collection call the other day and found out what happened. They said I was 3 months late with the initiation fee. I immediately called the club to clear this all up, the asst manager looked at my account and told me what had happened, to come in and they will re-enter the card and said I should call fincance and it will all be cleared up. I paid, and called the finance department who told me I was not in collections, and should not be. when I insisted I was they said they would take care of it and the calls would stop right then. Next night another collection call, I called finance back and was again told I was not in collections and should not be getting calls. I called the collection agency and told them what finance had said (they will not contact each other) and she said she will wait to hear from them. I called finance back and said they needed to call the collection agency and tell them i am not to be in collections. They still have not taken care of it and i am getting 3-4 calls a day. I have tried the corporate office and can't reach anyone, only get recordings. I keep trying the finance department but then keep saying I am not in collections, and finally someone admitted they must have sent the wrong account to collections and again said it would be taken care of. I have asked for a manager in finance but they won't let me talk to one, insisting that they will take care of it. The calls have not stopped. I didn't know who else to call so I called the club manager. She said she would make calls, then she called me back and said it was a mistake, I wasn't in collections the wrong account must have been sent and it was going to all be taken care of. The calls are comming more frequently now, my caller ID is full of calls from these people. I don't know who else to go to with this. What more can I do???

Be sure to get a copy of your credit file as well. Collection agencies love to file false claims on personal credit ...... I think they do this for brownie points. You may get the calls to stop, but they will probably nail you with a secret R ( whatever number they choose) and lie about it for sheer revenge. Trust me ive been there. What Credit scam company is harrassing you? Just curious because Ive had problems with NCO harrassing me about my neighbour, and have heard they make constant "mistakes" from other unfortunate victims.

Be sure to get a copy of your credit file as well. Collection agencies love to file false claims on personal credit ...... I think they do this for brownie points. You may get the calls to stop, but they will probably nail you with a secret R ( whatever number they choose) and lie about it for sheer revenge. Trust me ive been there. What Credit scam company is harrassing you? Just curious because Ive had problems with NCO harrassing me about my neighbour, and have heard they make constant "mistakes" from other unfortunate victims. Make sure you get a written letter from the agency because they will still try to collect on the bogus account for their own pockets. If they tell you they didnt report you to the bureau, dont believe them. ;)

You should immediately document everything and send a letter, certified return receipt, to the club and to the collections that disputes the debt. Do you want to still be a member at this club? You are also probably best to explain what happened and that if they do not correct the mistake immediately and cease calls, you will be forced to cancel the club membership due to their breach of contract and you will report their fraud to your credit card company, the better business bureau and the state attorney general. You may want to send a copy by fax. Written letters are always better than oral. Have as many dates and details as possible.

magpie said:
I have a membership at a fitness club and they have been charging my card for my monthly dues. The man that signed me up enterend my card for the monthly dues correct but he made a mistake with the numbers for the other entry for the initiation fee. I never noticed it didnt go through my bank. I received a collection call the other day and found out what happened. They said I was 3 months late with the initiation fee. I immediately called the club to clear this all up, the asst manager looked at my account and told me what had happened, to come in and they will re-enter the card and said I should call fincance and it will all be cleared up. I paid, and called the finance department who told me I was not in collections, and should not be. when I insisted I was they said they would take care of it and the calls would stop right then. Next night another collection call, I called finance back and was again told I was not in collections and should not be getting calls. I called the collection agency and told them what finance had said (they will not contact each other) and she said she will wait to hear from them. I called finance back and said they needed to call the collection agency and tell them i am not to be in collections. They still have not taken care of it and i am getting 3-4 calls a day. I have tried the corporate office and can't reach anyone, only get recordings. I keep trying the finance department but then keep saying I am not in collections, and finally someone admitted they must have sent the wrong account to collections and again said it would be taken care of. I have asked for a manager in finance but they won't let me talk to one, insisting that they will take care of it. The calls have not stopped. I didn't know who else to call so I called the club manager. She said she would make calls, then she called me back and said it was a mistake, I wasn't in collections the wrong account must have been sent and it was going to all be taken care of. The calls are comming more frequently now, my caller ID is full of calls from these people. I don't know who else to go to with this. What more can I do???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back