Other Debt Cancelled an online airline ticket purchase 17 days prior to flight

peodconsumer

I booked a flight a month or more before departure date. 20 days before scheduled departure, my Father passed. 17 days prior to departure I called and cancelled the flight and asked for a refund. To which I was told I would receive no refund as the ticket I purchased was non-refundable. When I booked the flight online it clearly stated free cancellation within 24hrs prior to boarding.

I was told by it was not they but the airline who issued the ticket non-refundable. I stated that was not my problem and I expected a refund. I was then told I would not receive one. I told them we would see if my credit card provider would see it their way. I disputed the charge, I had received no goods or services. My credit card co. said they could not refund my charge until an investigation was completed. 30 days or more. Approximately 40 days later, my card issuer stated the seller's name had not responded to the investigation and my money would be returned.

The seller would still have another 90 days to dispute my dispute. Fully more than a year later, I have received a letter from a collections outfit.

We have received notification from the seller that you disputed a charge to your credit card in the amount listed above for a purchase of airline tickets. Our customer was not able to verify your dispute as valid, and therefore was required to reimburse the airline carrier for the tickets. According to the terms of of your purchase, you are obligated to reimburse teh seller.
Our customer has asked us to assist with collection. Please issue your check in full payment and remit to the address above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I booked a flight a month or more before departure date. 20 days before scheduled departure, my Father passed. 17 days prior to departure I called and cancelled the flight and asked for a refund. To which I was told I would receive no refund as the ticket I purchased was non-refundable. When I booked the flight online it clearly stated free cancellation within 24hrs prior to boarding.

I was told by it was not they but the airline who issued the ticket non-refundable. I stated that was not my problem and I expected a refund. I was then told I would not receive one. I told them we would see if my credit card provider would see it their way. I disputed the charge, I had received no goods or services. My credit card co. said they could not refund my charge until an investigation was completed. 30 days or more. Approximately 40 days later, my card issuer stated the seller's name had not responded to the investigation and my money would be returned.

The seller would still have another 90 days to dispute my dispute. Fully more than a year later, I have received a letter from a collections outfit.

We have received notification from the seller that you disputed a charge to your credit card in the amount listed above for a purchase of airline tickets. Our customer was not able to verify your dispute as valid, and therefore was required to reimburse the airline carrier for the tickets. According to the terms of of your purchase, you are obligated to reimburse the seller.
Our customer has asked us to assist with collection. Please issue your check in full payment and remit to the address above.

The collection scammer sent you a letter demanding you send the scammer money.
That's easy, you are under no obligation to pay any debt that you believe you don't owe.
The credit card company believed your story, and you got your money back.

I suggest you simply cease any and all communication with the collection scammer.
If you are sued, make you go to court and presnt your proof that the card issuer believed your story and gave you a refund.
The judge will decide.

Ignore the letter & make them sue you if they want to try & collect the money. They might not even bother doing that & go on sending letters to others trying to get them to pay, based on the letters, what they might not even owe.

Agree. You are best off to not acknowledge the letter in any way. You have no legal obligation to pay and communicating with them will only cause them to pursue you more.

Back