1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Canadian needs to get into the US to work TN Visa

Discussion in 'Investment, Work Visa' started by tom_cunningham, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom_cunningham

    tom_cunningham Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I work in the entertainment industry as an agent and have been doing this self employed for the last 5 years. I have been buying tours from a US based company for the last 2 years or so, and putting my commission on top before reselling them. This past January, they asked me if I would like to come down and work for them on salary out of their Florida office. They needed someone there immediately, so it was decided that I would come down there and try it out first so that we could both see if we liked working for/with each other. They agreed that they would pay me for this period by doing a direct deposit into my Canadian bank account. We figured that this wouldnt really look suspicious as there has been money exchanged between our accounts over the past couple of years. Everything worked out fine and I am back in Canada, still on salary with them through direct deposit to my account here. While I was there, we wanted to start the visa process but their immigration lawyer told them that there might be a problem because of a domestic assault charge that I recieved back in 1987. I had a very rocky marriage to a woman who frequently got very physical and in the course of defending myself, she had me charged with this offence twice. I have never been charged with that or anything else before or since then. I did a criminal records check and only one of those offences showed up on my RCMP record, the one back in 1987. At the time, I felt that I was not guilty of the charge but was persuaded to plead guilty and I would recieve a conditional discharge. I did this and recieved 9 months probation and a conditional discharge. So their lawyer suggested that I marry my current girlfriend of 10 years, who is a US citizen but has been living and working here in Canada for the last 30 years. Bottom line, my employer will sponsor me, my girlfriend will marry me, I have a job there already and I need to get back there to work, which would be the quickest and easiest road to take, how long will it take and how do I go about it. At this point, I am eligable to have this record destroyed, should I do that before applying for anything My girlfriend also wants to move there with me and find work for herself.


Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.