K Visa Canadian married to American-crossing border

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalanu

Hello,

I have a difficult situation.
I am Canadian, and have been in the country for about four months.
In July I married an American.
We are here in the US, but are not yet sure whether she will become Canadian or whether I will become American.
In the meantime, we are invited to join her family on a Hawaiian cruise, for which I will need a passport.
I made the mistake of not checking my IDs before I cam down here.
The ID I need to get a passport is expired and I must return to Canada to deal with this paperwork.
I am not employed and have no ties to my home country to speak of and no money. I know I will have a hassle at the border.
How can I get back in if I go to Canada, without having to apply for permanet resident status?
One more thing that makes it difficult is that no one checked my ID at the border, and there is no record that I came over legally.
I got pulled over for driving without a licence in Oregon and have mugshots and fingerprints on file in that state dating back about two or three months. Would this be found to prove how long I've been in the country? I did not pay the tickets and so the case was sent to a collection agency.

You got to get your paperwork in order and you should do so from Canada. You have to obtain a valid Canadian passport and then, if you want to stay in the U.S., you would have to obtain a K-3 Visa to enter the U.S. legally. Then you would have to adjust status to legal permanent residency.

Criminal convictions do not help at all but rather make it likely that an alien is refused entry.
Not paying any fines don't show a good moral character either, but rather a disregard for our laws.

You have some serious issues here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back