K Visa Canadian married to American - Border Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjurl

I am a American graduate student in Pennsylvania, married to a Canadian citizen who is pursuing doctoral studies in Canada. Because of our studies, neither of is presently able to seek permanent residency in the others' home country. Obviously, it is nonetheless our desire to spend as much time as possible together. While I spent much of the summer in Canada, for the next nine months it will be easier for my wife to visit me here since she has fewer classroom obligations. Moreover, we are expecting a child in early March and hope to be able to do so in the US (because I must be here to teach and attend classes, while she gets maternity leave).

The problem is that it is becoming increasingly difficult for my wife to cross the border. This summer she accompanied me to the States for 5 days to help me move my things into storage, and we, stupidly, brought a few boxes of her winter things, since we knew she would be spending quite a bit of time here this year. The border guard told us that, though he believed our story, it did not LOOK like we were only going to be staying for 5 days (and we couldn't disagree!). He turned us away, with the provision that my wife return with further documentation of her ties to Canada (a lease, work contract, phone bill in her name, etc), and advised us to seek legal counsel (which we did). We took the boxes back to Canada and returned to the US for the 5 days with no problems.

Today I received a call from my wife. She had just crossed the border at Niagara on her way to visit me in Philadelphia, and was extremely distressed that she was, after much scrutiny, only allowed entry upon the provision that she return to Canada on September 22. And this, she was told by the border guard, was only being allowed because she had provided evidence that she had to be back in Canada on that date to teach. Apparently, when they checked her passport, the previous incident came up, and indicated that she had tried to illegally enter the US to live for seven months and been turned away. When she explained what our immigration lawyer had told us (that neither of us needed to apply for permanent residency in the others' country and that visitation should be fine as long as she could show sufficient ties to Canada), she was told that "lawyers don't know anything." They claimed that her paperwork (work contracts, phone bills, etc) did not sufficiently show that she did not intend to illegally stay in the US.

Absurdly, it appears that they now suspect her of attempting to illegally enter the US, despite the fact that I am a US citizen and thus, if she genuinely wished to do so, she could easily apply for permanent residency! After the difficulty she faced today, it seems increasingly unlikely that she will be able to visit me in the future, as one of the risks she faces if she does so is a 2-5 year ban on entry to the US altogether. Not to mention the simple stress of not knowing whether or not she will be allowed to enter each time. Needless to say, the prospect of her being granted entry in the weeks before our child is due is likewise dim.

I am eager to hear from anyone who might have had, and hopefully solved, a similar problem. Thanks for the help.

I am sorry to hear this, but this is the law. The law does not acknowledge your kind of "in between" status. Either you are a legal permanent resident or your are simply a tourist, and since she is not a LPR she will be treated as any other tourist.

The best thing would be to pursue legal permanent residency as soon as possible. It is very likely she will be denied entry to the US in the future and that could impede seeking legal permanent residency then.

Yes, but...

The problem, we were told when we spoke with an immigration lawyer, is that if my wife seeks permanent residency here, she can no longer maintain her academic position (as both student and wage-earning teacher) in Canada, since she would likely be suspected of "abandoning" her quest for permanent residency upon her necessary return. He thus strongly suggested that she NOT file for permanent residency since it would not only be expensive, but could likely lead to further complications down the road.

That said, I understand that our "in between" status is not recognized by "the law" (which is not an agent after all), and that to a large extent our fate ultimately lies in the hands of whichever border guard my wife happens to speak with in the future. The question is whether or not there is some way that she can with some assurance establish that she does not intend to remain illegally in the US. One thing that was mentioned by the border guard today was the fact that she was only subletting an apartment in Canada and therefore did not have a lease in her name. Do you think that with a lease agreement in her name, work contracts, return tickets, etc, she would still likely be turned back? What about when she is visibly pregnant? Again, the lawyer suggested that INS's main concern would be that she could support herself during her stay, and even (counter-intuitively) said that it was a GOOD thing that she would be on my insurance, because this was evidence of her financial autonomy...

We have an appointment with a different immigration lawyer next week, and also an appointment with an INS officer here. In your experience is there any possibility that a sympathetic INS officer would "vouch" for us if we provided her with plenty of detailed info regarding our situation? Another thing that was mentioned by the border guard when we were turned away over the summer was that, by receiving re-entry stamps, my wife would be establishing credibility (i.e. that she would not try to stay in the US). Do you know of anything like this policy?

Finally, and as a last resort, what about trying to gain the support of a congressperson or other government official? I don't have the connections, but I would certainly be willing to try and get them if there was any chance it would help.

Please let me know what you find out

Hi there...my fiance and I are in a similar situation. He is Canadian, I am American. We planned to be married and maintain our separate residences until his minor children are out of school at which point he would immigrate to the USA (about 5 years). We have our wedding planned and the lawyer just told me that our unusual situation could compromise any possibility of his legal immigration if the US Customs / Immigration people chose, and that we could both find ourselves barred from the other's country if an arbitrary decision were made by a border guard who decided we were trying to pull something over on them. Have you had any luck with the Congressman route? What are you doing?

I am very depressed at the thought of calling off my wedding.

THis is all ridiculous, since we are both employed, honest and have no criminal records.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kathryn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back