H Visa Canadian Looking to Work in NY State for 1 Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

amandamaria

Hi Everyone,

I hope this will be a quick/easy question to answer.

I am a Canadian citizen, was born and raised here, never lived anywhere else. I have a disabled father who was in an accident when I was 14, since then I have not worked, I finished highschool and took care of my Dad along with my Mom, we both take care of him and none of us work (living on an insurance settlement).

I am engaged with a US citizen living in NY state, we are not getting married until Sept 22 of 2007.

I'm looking to move in with him for 1 year and work, but I have no 'special skills', he works as a GM in a pet store and I would work for the same chain but in a different location in his city.

Would I be able to just get a visa through the port of entry (border at Niagara Falls between the Canada/US) with the TN visa? If not, what visa is right for me seeing as I have no special skills and will be there working in a job that I don't truly need "training" in? Are there option for someone who wants to work very temporarily (1 year only) and then return to Canada, one who is NOT a 'professional'?

Thanks a lot, hopefully the answer will come soon, it'd be fantastic if we had as much as time as possible to test out really living together before tying the big knot lol :D

amandamaria

Quick answers are simple but trying to solve your challenge might require some innovation! :D I'm not an expert here but given the free access into and out of the US/CA, it seems you can go back and forth, stay for 3-4 weeks, etc. That could work for your purposes at the very worst. Another option is the lottery which I think is open to you.

Regarding work - this is more challenging. I do believe that the TN Visa does require some special skills and, absent some sponsorship, I'm not sure if you'd be allowed to work. This isn't to say that people don't work in cash business all the time, e.g. catering, babysitting, etc. which don't attract attention.

Best of luck to you with your residence and most especially your marriage!

Hi Everyone,

I hope this will be a quick/easy question to answer.

I am a Canadian citizen, was born and raised here, never lived anywhere else. I have a disabled father who was in an accident when I was 14, since then I have not worked, I finished highschool and took care of my Dad along with my Mom, we both take care of him and none of us work (living on an insurance settlement).

I am engaged with a US citizen living in NY state, we are not getting married until Sept 22 of 2007.

I'm looking to move in with him for 1 year and work, but I have no 'special skills', he works as a GM in a pet store and I would work for the same chain but in a different location in his city.

Would I be able to just get a visa through the port of entry (border at Niagara Falls between the Canada/US) with the TN visa? If not, what visa is right for me seeing as I have no special skills and will be there working in a job that I don't truly need "training" in? Are there option for someone who wants to work very temporarily (1 year only) and then return to Canada, one who is NOT a 'professional'?

Thanks a lot, hopefully the answer will come soon, it'd be fantastic if we had as much as time as possible to test out really living together before tying the big knot lol :D

amandamaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back