Can we remove an executor for not contacting both beneficiaries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Severitas

My uncle is the executor of my grandmother's will, and the only two beneficiaries named were my mom and my aunt. My uncle and my aunt have been giving things away out of the estate without consulting my mother. I'm led to believe this should not be happening unless all the beneficiaries approved, which my mother hasn't. Like I said, they never asked her what she thought should be done.

Also, at the initial probate hearing, my uncle promised my mother that he would pursue a case against my aunt for elder abuse towards my grandmother (long story*) if he was made executor, but he's since went back on that promise and sided with my aunt.

Anyway, we want to be sure we have the right to remove him as executor since he's not carrying out things like my grandmother requested, and because he's not contacting my mother with any decisions he's making that effect her portion of the estate.

*My aunt had lived with my grandmother for 3 years at the time of her passing. During this time she caused her a great deal of stress; my grandmother had cancer but my aunt would yell at her and wouldn't help her out if she needed it. She would also feed her old rotting food and refused to clean the house. The day my grandmother was admitted to the hospital, a nurse had been by to check on my grandmother and told my aunt she needed to be taken the hospital right away because things weren't looking right. My aunt refused and called my mother (who was sick with strep throat and shouldn't have been around my grandmother who was also on an oxygen machine) and yelled at her until she came to the house and called the ambulance herself. How hard is it to dial 911? Anyway, this and several other reasons are why my mother wanted to press charges against my aunt for elder abuse. My uncle went back on his word because he "didn't want to see her in jail." My mother and I feel that my aunt is in part to blame for my grandmother's decline in health during the time she lived with her.

Last edited:
The general rule is that the personal representative could sell everything in the estate and then pay all the bills, etc.

Of course, I have no idea what the will says here.

So, go to the courthouse and get a complete copy of the probate file. Then hire a lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back