Can she actually get away with this?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

antlu

Hello, I am new to this site and I hope you may be able to help me.

my parents are deceased, i am 1 of 8 children, my sister applied for administrator and received letters of administration. the only real property was a home that was sold in june 06. the admin disbursed different amounts of money to each child. some children whom she gets along with got their full amount while 4 of us were given a home made spreasheet of expenses she charged us with no receipts or proof of these expenses, she told me that she is the administrator and can do what she wants when she wants and how she sees fit and told me to hire a lawyer if I didn't like it, she took the money and then said i am responsible for any attorney fees she has to incurr. She was holding $2,500 from each child just in case small bills arose and then took that money from the estate account and hired her own lawyer to defend her.

My sister and I filed a suit against her because she refused to give us any type of receipts, cancelled checks anything to show what she did as administrator and how she used the funds. At this point not only have me and my sister not received our money, since she took the $2,500 there isn't enough to make us whole. Is she actually allowed to do this?? she told me her lawyer is a big wig in the surrogetes and that she will win, and told me to pay her legal fees and take what she thinks we should get sign my paperwork and be on our way. Can she really do this??? i've gone thru so many postponements, we finally go before a court attorney and she told us we should just settle for an even lower amount and be done with it. we will not do that, we were told that NY law is that the money should have been divided equally. I am very confused and very frustrated any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

We can't predict the future.

What does your lawyer say about your questions?

i haven't gotten a straight answer, the only answer i have received is she's not allowed to do that, and yet she did, that's why I posted my question here. I am certainly not asking anyone to predict the future, I would just like to know the law, i've done quite a bit of searching and everything i've read says that the proceeds should be divided equally, but I can't find much information on how much power the administrator has at making decisions beyond the laws of intestacy for our state.

We would have to see the will and examine the documents in the lawsuit before we could give you a sensible answer.

there is no will. my parents never made one, I just re-read my original post and foolishly did not put that in, my apologies. my sister petitioned the courts to be made administrator and since none of us understood the process and she did, we did not contest it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back