Can police edit the police records under your household name?

M

Masalina

Jurisdiction
New York
I filed a complaint against the police. I tried to call them to get all of the police reports under my household name because I knew it would be proof about what im taking them to court for. They said they will refuse to give me my records because I don't have specific dates. I said that I don't need dates because I want everything from start to finish on police reports from the house being mailed to me so I can pay for them. They said no, we want dates

Im afraid they might try to edit the police reports to make them seem innocent. Is that possible? Some of these incidents were years ago but are still something that ties with the most recent offense. If they edit it, I could be in trouble. Please give advice.

I filed a complaint against the police.

What does that mean? Did you write a letter to the Chief or did you file a lawsuit and have the summons and complaint served on the police department?

I tried to call them to get all of the police reports under my household name

No surprise that they won't give them to you. That's not the proper way of getting records.

You have to file a written request under NY's Freedom of Information Law:

Committee on Open Government, Freedom of Information Law

Read it and learn the procedural requirements. You might actually have to specify dates in order to get specific records.

The alternative is to file and serve your lawsuit and seek those records during discovery.

Im afraid they might try to edit the police reports to make them seem innocent. Is that possible?

Sure, it's "possible." Whether or not that actually happens is anybody's guess.

Please give advice.

Try following the requirements of the Freedom of Information Law and/or any local rules for getting records that are consistent with the law.

If you still can't get them I suggest consulting an attorney for whatever issues you have with the police department.

I doubt if they have a file simply based on your address. And I doubt if they are going to search all of their records. They file by date.

Back