Roomate Can my Landlord give out my lease information?

JennTeacher

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I am going through a very ugly divorce, in Illinois. My husband is trying to prove cohabitation. He obtained a copy of my lease, in Pueblo, CO, including the addendum adding a roommate, which included my roommate's personal information (including his SSN) from the owner of the apartment complex. He previously tried to get my employment information from my employer, by sending a "subpoena," basically just a request from my husband's lawyer, not anything issued by the court. Luckily, I work for a lawyer, who knew that an Illinois subpoena isn't binding in Colorado. Was the owner of my apartment complex in the wrong for releasing my and my roommate's information to a lawyer based out of state subpoena that wasn't even issued by the court? Is my husband's lawyer in the wrong for sending out these very legal looking requests?

Not knowing what was sent, it is impossible to answer whether anything improper occurred. Is there a reason you have not asked your lawyer?

In most cases employment information is not protected by law. Employment verifications are common from a number of sources including potential future employers, mortgage and loan companies, etc. If Teacher refers to your profession and you work in the public sector, your employment and salary are public record.

I am going through a very ugly divorce, in Illinois. My husband is trying to prove cohabitation. He obtained a copy of my lease, in Pueblo, CO, including the addendum adding a roommate, which included my roommate's personal information (including his SSN) from the owner of the apartment complex. He previously tried to get my employment information from my employer, by sending a "subpoena," basically just a request from my husband's lawyer, not anything issued by the court. Luckily, I work for a lawyer, who knew that an Illinois subpoena isn't binding in Colorado. Was the owner of my apartment complex in the wrong for releasing my and my roommate's information to a lawyer based out of state subpoena that wasn't even issued by the court? Is my husband's lawyer in the wrong for sending out these very legal looking requests?

Your SOON TO BE FORMER SPOUSE is one of those people who still believes adultery matters in divorces in the 21st century. His ideas are out of touch.

Besides, so what if a male and a female become roommates?
Two adults sharing an apartment doesn't mean they're sharing a bed and their bodies.

Even if you were, or do, it's none of his business.

I doubt your landlord was wrong, more likely uninformed or scared comes to mind.

As far as the lawyer being wrong, assume she/he was. Now what?
Nothing is what. The lawyer is protected because he used a subpoena to do so. The Illinois subpoena is only invalid (in Colorado) if the person served chooses to ignore or fight it. Your landlord chose to obey it. Both parties action's are protected pursuant to legal process.

I'm uninvolved, but I say get unhitched from your current spouse as quickly as possible.

Was the owner of my apartment complex in the wrong for releasing my and my roommate's information to a lawyer based out of state subpoena that wasn't even issued by the court?

I don't think any leases are subject to privacy laws so, to that, extent your landlord did nothing illegal.

Is my husband's lawyer in the wrong for sending out these very legal looking requests?

Your husband's lawyer works for your husband and is required to further your husband's case. Whether a "very legal looking request" raises any ethical issues for which the lawyer can be sanctioned depends (as you should know, working for a lawyer) on his state's rules of behavior and ethics.

You are welcome to file a complaint with his state Bar or attorney regulatory agency and see if that gets anywhere.

Back