Can my landlord change the lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpraglowski

We moved into our apartment in December '07 with a lease for a one year period. The apartment complex had just been taken over by a new management company and I believe we were the first tenants to actually sign a contract with the new landlord. Now they are asking all tenants to sign a new contract with the new company...which is understandable. But they are also asking us to sign another contract which has two major changes, we are now required to have renter's insurance and we have to pay for our own water. Our lease states that "Tenant agrees to pay all charges for utilities, including telephone services, gas and electric servies, and cable supplied to the premises when and as they become due..." It mentions nothing of paying for water and when we applied for the apartment they said it was included. The only thing I can find that says anything about having the right to change the lease says this, "This Lease in itself contains the entire agreement between the parties and can only be amended in writing between the parties hereto." Basically I want to know if I am required to sign the new lease and accept the new terms or if the landlord must uphold the original terms of the contract?

Thank you! :)

What state are you in?

The landlord has to up hold the lease the way it is. He can not make you sign a new lease until this one expires. Hold your ground. The lease is there to protect both you and the landlord, not just him.

Is the water for each apartment on separate meters, that is the only way to charge separate water usage. Tell me your specific state and then I can look up the specific laws.

More Info

We live in Maryland. And the landlord just installed new water meters in each apartment to track each individual units water usage. I was skeptical at first too about how they would monitor everyone's water seperately but apparently what they did will do that. I did record the number my meter started on though...just in case!

Thank you for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back