Can my Ex-Roommate sue me for rent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lambj1234

My former girlfriend and I on or about the middle of July signed a joint lease on a rent house in the State of Oklahoma. On the 22nd of October she Assaulted me(Simple Assault-Domestic Abuse) I called the police and pressed charges (I've been to the City Attorney's Office and formally filed). At this time I decided, under the advice of the police, it was best to leave the house. On the 1st of November she filed a small claims case against me suing me for half the rent for the remainder of the lease(10 months). I have never entered into a contract with her, verbal or written, agreeing to pay half the rent. I understand if the rent does not get paid the rental company can take us both to court... Does she have a case against me? Will I actually have to pay her half the rent for the remainder of the lease?

Last edited:
I don't know what the judge will do, but to get a judgment, the plaintiff (the person suing) must show that the defendant (the person getting sued) caused the plaintiff money damages.

You are right: the landlord could sue you, her, or both of you. But I am not sure how she will prove that you caused her damages.

should that be my defense?

So is this how I should present it to the Judge in small claims? The fact that I have not caused her any monetary damages? I've been told the Judge overseeing our case tends to lean towards women, it seems to be a problem in our county whether right or wrong?

Q: I've been told the Judge overseeing our case tends to lean towards women, it seems to be a problem in our county whether right or wrong?

A: Is this a question?

Q: I've been told the Judge overseeing our case tends to lean towards women, it seems to be a problem in our county whether right or wrong?

A: Is this a question?

No sorry, just got a little happy with the ? button...

The first part was my question...

Last edited:
all you can do at this point is show up to court and give your defense. She is very unlikely going to get more than a month or two, if she gets any at all because she is required to mitigate her damages. She has to look for another roommate as a replacement.

Since she assaulted you and you left for your safety, its possible she won't win anything at all but you need to show up and defend yourself otherwise you risk losing in default. She could be hoping you just don't show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back