Can my ex "Personal Manager" claim they own a part of my script after the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playwrite

I met my ex manager about a year and a half ago. They (there are two of them) suggested I write a play that we could eventually develop into a screenplay. I then proceeded to write the script with their help. They never did any of the actual writing. They would just give me direction and feedback. About 8 months ago they told me that they were too busy and not able to represent me anymore. It was very amicable and they verbally told me that everything that we created together belonged to me. Although I never legally or formally ended our contract which renews itself every three years. We now havn't worked together in over 8 months and I am about to open the play in Los Angeles. Could my manager have any legal means to claim he is entitled to any portion of the profit from this play? Is there anything I can do to legally prevent this? Again, we have done no work with each other for almost a year.

You may want to formally end your contract with a letter (certified) stating that you enjoyed working with them, etc. but per your discussion of 8 months ago, we have terminated our agreement. Wish them luck, etc. and you're at least covered from technically still being under contract and also the possibility of renewal. I don't know what the contract calls for with regard to the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back