Can my attorney withhold distribution funds from a court case? (Fees NO prob.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJay

The Client Disbursement document contains a statement to sign saying I'm satisfied with "my said lawyer's handling of this case." When we talked about legal fees I was not advised there would an expectation for me to sign a document regarding my satisfaction with the services. I'm content to be somewhat DISsatisfied, and would prefer not to have to sign anything. I don't want any back-and-forth. I just want to collect my funds and move on. It's water under the bridge.

Question: Might this option politely solve the issue (and free up the funds) - Add in a clause to the effect, "As long as the case was conducted in a fully ethical manner and Attorney guarantees the work, I'm satisfied." Or, would you recommend that I strike through or white-out the wording? Can the funds be held hostage if I'm not completely, totally satisfied?

** (Again, fees are not an issue. I'm okay with the billing statement.)

Thank you so very much! I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Why quibble? Does it really matter? If it does, discuss your concerns with your attorney. Or, retain another attorney.

Does anyone have an answer to the question that was asked in the title line? >> Can my attorney withhold distribution funds from a court case [if I have agreed to his fees]?

(Yes, AJ - actually, it does matter, otherwise I would not have asked the question.)

I don't see how the funds can be held back if you don't sign a statement to the effect that your lawyer was satisfactory in a manner that sounds like an endorsement of that attorney. I think it's more of a way for the attorney to request that you're agreeing to take the settlement and give him some peace of mind against being sued after you've taken the money without complaint. Since this isn't an issue here as you're willing to say that the attorney was "OK" doing the bare minimum required, I'm sure that what AJ is trying to say is that there shouldn't be any disagreement with you being able to modify what the lawyer is requesting you sign. But as AJ said, you should speak to your lawyer first. You can raise the issue that you don't have to sign any endorsement and then come to some very likely resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back