Can I sue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmenaul

About 6 months ago I was looking to repair my car and found someone that sells parts cheap... I know I know, I shouldn't have sent any money, but I was talking to him and everything seemed ok, and the guys on the car tuners forum said he was legit. Anyway, I sent about $900 US in 3 money orders all together and the guy keeps giving me the run around now that he's got my money. I should have used an escrow service, but I didn't and now he's cashed the money orders and not sent anything.
My question is, how can I get my money back or atleast charge him? I live in Toronto, Canada and he's in New York.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan.

He's also changed his number, but I have an address... anyone have any direction they can point me in?... thanks in advance.

Im sorry to hear about the mess your going through. If you wanted to sue him, you would have to come to New York to do so through the Small Claims Court. I do not know how things work in Canada, but in the US, unless the person has a business in your state, you would have to travel to their state to sue. The cost is about $15 dollars for anything under $1000. You can sue him in the county he resides or does business in. If this is in New York City, then you can take him to any of the 5 New York City Civil Courts, which house Small Claims. Make sure to bring your proof, especially any correspondence you have had with him. But remember that just as he is dodging you, that doesn't mean he won't dodge the courts. You do need an accurate address so that the papers can be sent to him. Good Luck.

Here's some info on the ny small claims
http://www.nyscourtofclaims.state.ny.us/

Last edited:
He's also changed his number, but I have an address... anyone have any direction they can point me in?... thanks in advance.

Perhaps if you have a friend in NY (almost everyone knows somebody there!) you can have them file for you in small claims court. I'm not sure if you can do this by mail but think you might be able to -- You can find information at this location for the New York City Small Claims Court -- http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/nyc/smallclaims/index.shtml

That might be enough to make him think about making good. Did you post your issues in the forum? Nobody wants to have a bad reputation. Good luck...

rmenaul said:
About 6 months ago I was looking to repair my car and found someone that sells parts cheap... I know I know, I shouldn't have sent any money, but I was talking to him and everything seemed ok, and the guys on the car tuners forum said he was legit. Anyway, I sent about $900 US in 3 money orders all together and the guy keeps giving me the run around now that he's got my money. I should have used an escrow service, but I didn't and now he's cashed the money orders and not sent anything.
My question is, how can I get my money back or atleast charge him? I live in Toronto, Canada and he's in New York.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back