Can I sue the dealership?

H

Harter89

Jurisdiction
Maryland
I traded in a car 4 months ago to a small dealership in the area. That dealership still hasn't paid off the car loan that they agreed to pay off when trading the car. I have received multiple warnings about not receiving a payment from the bank and threats of repossessing the car that was traded in. I informed the dealership of this and they continued to tell me they have sent the check. Well today I got the final notice of repossession and called the dealership and the bank to resolve the issue. Nothing has happened yet. From this my credit score has dropped extremely low and now coming close to havin a repossession in my name because the dealership hasn't paid for the car. Can I sue the dealership for this? If so what is the best way to go about this? Please help.

You can also report them to the dealer licensing agency in your state and the Better Business Bureau. If I were you I would go in person and ask for a copy of their cancelled check proving they paid off the bank. If they cannot produce that then go home and write them a letter(certified receipt) demanding that they payoff the loan within 10 days or they will hear from your attorney.
Also demand that they clear up the matter with the credit bureau. I'm suggesting this to potentially save you attorneys fees if this might get their attention. It's been four months so 10 days more won't make a difference. Have you provided to the bank a copy of your bill of sale showing that you traded the vehicle? If so, they should be contacting the dealership as well.

Back