Can I sue Sprint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

credithammered

Hello,

In January of this year I received a call from a collection agency informing me that I owed Sprint $5000.00. Of course, I immediately disputed the charge and was transferred to the Sprint Fraud Department.
To make a long story short, someone obtained 5 phones from Sprint using my SS# only. They had my last name wrong AND my address wrong.
This has caused a lot of time and effort on my part to get my name cleared.
Is there anything I can do legally against Sprint? I can't see how they can sell equipment and services to someone with just a SS#.

Thank you!

credithammered

ID Theft of SSN

I have had this problem. Here is what I had to do to solve it.

First - get a credit report from all the credit agencies. Chances are they will require you to send proof of who you say you are, because of the SSN has been used by someone with a different name. This is a pain in the *** but needs to be done. Tell them to put a fraud alert on your account. You should renew the fraud alert every 90 days - from now on. This will force anyone who wants to open a new account to get your permission to do so. It will cause some hassles for you but well worth it.

Once you get your credit report call the fraud hotllines. Bear through all the computer front ends, you will get to a real person. Explain to them your situation and all the items you contest. They will investigate the situation and remove them from your records, if you are correct about fraud.

With regards to collection agencies, get their name, address, and phone number. If they refuse, then tell them that you refuse to talk to them and they are not to contact you ever again. If you can get their address you should send them a "No Contact" letter. Explain in that letter that
  • are not to be contacted by the agency involved
  • are to provide you with all information regarding the company they are collecting for
  • are to provide you with an itemized list of claims, with names of companies, account numbers, individual charges, and amounts
  • and that you will settle this claim with the company that originated the claim.

They will give you a harsh song and dance about how you must use their offices to handle the claim, et al. Stick to your guns and demand the information.

At the end of all of this tell them it is not open to debate or discussion. These things are required for your to settle any claims. If they cannot give you these things, then ignore them. Tell them never to contact you again.

One company in particular - NCO - tried to get money from me because a woman in MD opened an account with my SSN number. Once I demanded their name and address, they tried to be hostile to me, but was cold and calm in explaining that if they have any hope in claims, they have to provide the information. I also got the full name of the caller. (another point they are reluctant to cooperate). That's when I slam them with the itemized list requirement and account information. One time they said they would take me to court. I told them to do so. I have phone records that they called and that at that time I demanded an itemized list and other information. They shut up quick.

If you do owe someone and a collector calls, chances are you can settle for less by going with the original company and not the collector. Even though the collector has "purchased" the debt, you signed the contract with the company, not the collection agency. I've learned that you have the right to deal with the original company. It has always worked for me in my situation.

Lastly, check with Social Security and IRS to see if your SSN number has been used outside of what you have done in your life. If so, it becomes a federal crime.

If you live in one state and the person that uses it is in another, it is very hard to combat this. About the only resource you have is to solve it with the credit reporting agencies, file for an FTC tracking number, and call both your local state and remote state police agencies to see if they are willing to help. Most are not when it comes to interstate ID theft. There are no Federal agencies that are willing to do anything unless someone files for employment with the SSN or files for some form of benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back