Can I sue my college for multiple counts of negligence?

Jose Z.

Jurisdiction
California
Over the last three years I have been attending my university, I have had the financial aid and business departments repeatedly make mistakes that have put me in financial binds, narrowly prevented my enrollments, and and threatened to get me evicted from my housing. They claim that because of a lag between their office and the Department of Rehabilitation - errors may occur.

Here's a short list of the mistakes:
  • Was over refunded $4500, demanded to repay it in full in 3 days or get evicted from on campus housing
  • Worked on campus, overpaid $700 (thought it was from previously hours). Was demanded to pay it back in three pay periods even after I was let go due to health problems.
    • eg. The school applies $24k, DoR reimburses $12k, but the loan statement says they still owe $24k.
  • Tried applying for financial assistance through a school program, but was told that because the financial aid and the business departments put this "placeholder" grant for DoR reimbursements, I am ineligible for assistance because I TECHNICALLY have money "available" to me.
  • This one happened today.
    My DoR reimbursements are supposed to cover my insurance (so they get deducted from my initial financial aid package after the reimbursements come through), but I just got my Fall 2017 insurance payment deducted 5 months after the fact.

I'm at my wits end.
This has caused so much strain on me, my health, my family, my academics, and relationships.
If anyone can give me any kind of advice, I would appreciate it so much.

Is that all the issues you have in life? That has you stressed out? Mistakes happen as your well aware of. Just make sure everything is correct and move on.

The question in the subject header of your post appears to be the only question you asked, and the answer is that anyone can sue anyone for anything. Based on the limited and vague information provided, there is no way to opine intelligently about the likelihood that you would succeed. Consult with a local attorney.

Why would you sue your college because the funding from DOR was received late? Is this a public (state) school or private? If you were overpaid, yes, they can require you pay the money back. It is generous of them to allow you to work out a payment plan rather than require it lump sum.

As for other school sponsored financial aid programs (or even private scholarships) those may be limited in who can apply. If your tuition is being covered another way, or you already have a grant, you may not be eligible to double dip.

I don't follow what is happening with your insurance. Is this required insurance which is part of your tuition and fees at the college (not an uncommon practice/requirement)? If this fee is being deducted from a grant of some kind, I'm unclear why it matters when those funds were officially posted to your account.

Back