Other Debt can i put a lein on two horses

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgiev

I took in a friends two horses because he was being faced with a neglect charge. I wasn't even sure that the mare would make it through the night. His wife does not buy feed or any other of the horses needs. They have no grass where they live and he does not work. I have had the horses for a little over a month now and they are slowly getting back to where they need to be. He keeps threatening to take the horses back to the conditions they were in if basically don't do as i'm told. IE: give him money when he wants it. In the last month I have paid out close to $800 on these horses. He would never be able to pay this back, which really isn't the issue, the issue is I don't want them back in the same condition as before. Several years ago he was in jail and the horse were in the same condition as they are now and I did the same then, although they were on his mothers land at the time. When he was released he gave me a signed handwritten note saying if he could not take care of the horses, or he died the horses belonged to me. Do I have any claim on these horses and can i keep them till the lein is paid on them.

I took in a friends two horses because he was being faced with a neglect charge. I wasn't even sure that the mare would make it through the night. His wife does not buy feed or any other of the horses needs. They have no grass where they live and he does not work. I have had the horses for a little over a month now and they are slowly getting back to where they need to be. He keeps threatening to take the horses back to the conditions they were in if basically don't do as i'm told. IE: give him money when he wants it. In the last month I have paid out close to $800 on these horses. He would never be able to pay this back, which really isn't the issue, the issue is I don't want them back in the same condition as before. Several years ago he was in jail and the horse were in the same condition as they are now and I did the same then, although they were on his mothers land at the time. When he was released he gave me a signed handwritten note saying if he could not take care of the horses, or he died the horses belonged to me. Do I have any claim on these horses and can i keep them till the lein is paid on them.

You might be charged with with horse theft, depending on how you came to possess the horses.

Texas takes rustling very seriously.

If you want to protect the horses, report the matter to the local sheriff or law enforcement.

I don't see how you can take a person's chattel, and place a lien on it.

You're allowing someone to intimidate you into giving them money because you care about him or his horses.

Its time to get tough, contact the sheriff, report the problem, let the law handle it..

You are on a very slippery slope, my friend.

You also appear to be interacting with a very unstable individual.

Protect yourself and your interests, most of all your freedom.

I applaud your sensitivity to the horses' plight, but you need to worry about your plight.

Horse theft used to be a capital crime in Texas, so Texans take horsenapping seriously.

Under Texas Penal Code Section 31.03(e), horse theft is a third-degree felony (2 to 10 years in prison) if the value of the horses stolen in a single transaction is less than $100,000. Horse theft in Texas is punishable as a second degree felony (2 to 20 years in prison) if the horses stolen in a single transaction are worth $100,000 to $199,999, and a first degree felony (5 to 99 years in prison) if the horses stolen in a single transaction are worth $200,000 or more.

I want to say thank you for caring about & taking care of these horses. However, it would probably be determined that they aren't really your horses at this time. Do as army judge suggested & report any neglect/abuse to the proper authorities & let them handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back