Can I get any of the $80,000.00 my soon to be ex took out on a 2nd mort. on our home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charwils65

My estranged husband took out out a 2nd mortgage ($80,000.00) on our home 9 wks. before we legally seperated. My name is on the 1st mortgage but not the 2nd. I found out about the 2nd days before I filed for seperation. My name is NOT on the deed to the house. I'm now going to file for divorce but feel I should get half of the $80,00.00. My lawyer says I cannot get any of the $80,000.00 because I knew he got this money prior to our seperation and the seperation papers cannot be changed (I wasn't advised to ask for half of this $80,000.00 second mortgage my ex got). A real estate broker recently told me that in N.C. my name (because we were married at purchasing/closing) should have been put on the deed and he should have never been able to get a the $80,000.00 2nd without my signature even though my name's not on the deed. Am I legally able to get any of the $80,000.00 2nd he took out on our house?

I should have added that in our seperation papers that we are supposed to sell the house then and split what is left over. Since he's taken out the 2nd mortgage the equity is gone, there won't be anything to split. I'm not living in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back