can I get a copy of a wriiten warning a police officer wrote out ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat83

I was pulled over by a police officer and after finding no drugs in my car wrote out a written warning . I now have lost my written warning is there a copy I can get of this . This was about a year ago . Am I S.O.L or can I get a copy ?

I was pulled over by a police officer and after finding no drugs in my car wrote out a written warning . I now have lost my written warning is there a copy I can get of this . This was about a year ago . Am I S.O.L or can I get a copy ?

Pat, the information derived from issuing a warning is only retained for the agency's reference.

It isn't reported to other agencies (in Texas anyway, and most states, too), but can be provided if necessary.

Its only for law enforcement purposes.

Some agencies track individual officer performance and activity.

It is never passed along to the state DMV in batch.

In fact, from some informal research, VT LEOS tend to issue more warnings than they do citations.

http://www.miltonindependent.com/wednesday-jan-22-tuesday-jan-28/

I'm told this is due to state being small in population, and more friendly.

Our county sheriff is a friend of mine, as was his predecessor.

I'm also a sworn special deputy, and work patrols and jail (turn key) duties volunteering 16 hours a month; the official policy is to issue a warning to everyone, if the citation is for something simple (usually speeding).

Officers are free to do otherwise, but after 25 years of following this policy, its been documented that warnings solidify better police and citizen cooperation.

The agency gets an enormous amount of cooperation when investigating serious crimes.

Anyway, no need to worry about that warning, its just meant to be informative and educational.

No I am glad I was written out a warning , but at the same time I should have never been pulled over.. The officer made an excuse up that was bogus. The real reason y he pulled me over was because he was hoping to find drugs after a search he gave me a written warning for something totally different then the first initial reasoning he said he pulled me over.. So again is there away I can get ahold of the written warning he wrote out ?

I am not worried about about a warning on my record or anything like that . I am more concern on how a cop makes a lie up just to pull you over then treat me like a criminal . this was a year ago but by me moving to another home I can't find this .I need this to talk to a lawyer ..

No I am glad I was written out a warning , but at the same time I should have never been pulled over.. The officer made an excuse up that was bogus. The real reason y he pulled me over was because he was hoping to find drugs after a search he gave me a written warning for something totally different then the first initial reasoning he said he pulled me over.. So again is there away I can get ahold of the written warning he wrote out ?

See, here's the problem.
If they lied about pulling you over, they'd lie about issuing the warning as ruse to search you for contraband.
none of this is new, as Professor Howard Dershowitz wrote a book about cops "testilying".

If you knew the city, I suppose you could have your lawyer subpoena the record of the warning.

But, it'll simply support their reason for pulling you over. In the end, it's their word against yours.

Last edited:
If it has been more than a year it may be to late to do anything anyway.
You really have no way to prove your allegations either. It is a lost cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back