Can I do anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janze4

I live in Kutztown PA, in a large building with several appartments. I signed a lease when i moved in but never got a copy of it. The landlord says he needs to send it to the 'corperation' and i will get a copy in a few weeks. I've now lived here several months. Now that its getting cold out everything is going wrong. Our appartment is always freezeing, the hot water never works, and when the wind blows you can feel it blowing through the window cracks from across the room.

I talked to another Tenant here and they told me that the 'corperation' the landlord mentioned is a group called JAMM Properties inc, located in White Hall PA. The landlord is never around so I thought I would give them a call. But they are not listed anywhere, we called information, looked through a white hall phone book, and searched the internet extensivly. The other tenant I talked to had the same problem I've now come to find out.

I know hot water and heat is included with the rent, and im 99% sure it was on the lease. My question, is not getting a copy of the lease grounds to break it? and if I do get a copy of it, and it says heat and hot water are included, would I be able to break the lease over the fact its freezeing in here and there is no hot water? how long a break in heat/hot water would it take to be able to break the lease if at all?

Originally posted by janze4
I live in Kutztown PA, in a large building with several appartments. I signed a lease when i moved in but never got a copy of it. The landlord says he needs to send it to the 'corperation' and i will get a copy in a few weeks. I've now lived here several months. Now that its getting cold out everything is going wrong. Our appartment is always freezeing, the hot water never works, and when the wind blows you can feel it blowing through the window cracks from across the room.

I talked to another Tenant here and they told me that the 'corperation' the landlord mentioned is a group called JAMM Properties inc, located in White Hall PA. The landlord is never around so I thought I would give them a call. But they are not listed anywhere, we called information, looked through a white hall phone book, and searched the internet extensivly. The other tenant I talked to had the same problem I've now come to find out.

I know hot water and heat is included with the rent, and im 99% sure it was on the lease. My question, is not getting a copy of the lease grounds to break it? and if I do get a copy of it, and it says heat and hot water are included, would I be able to break the lease over the fact its freezeing in here and there is no hot water? how long a break in heat/hot water would it take to be able to break the lease if at all?
Who is your landlord? Why not call him and/or write him a letter, certified receipt, regarding the problems and questions? If you don't notify the landlord about any of your concerns, then who would be held to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back