Can I break my lease if my roommate is breaching contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo3knows

My roommate is breaching contract by storing a car in our backyard (Landlord included that in the email when she send us our copies of the lease as a reminder) that is likely inoperable and is not registered (both of which are stated as not permitted in our actual Lease). She has recently decided to have her boyfriend living there with a key (our lease states that only those on the lease are permitted to occupy the house). Lastly, she has serious hoarding issues which she blamed on the previous roommate and stated it would all be gone by the time she moved out (our Lease states that Tenants are responsible for discarding rubbish and let me tell you, it is genuinely rubbish!). Can my other roommate and I write to our landlord that if these items are not reconciled within 30 days, we consider that a breach of contract and will terminate the lease?

There are also issues with the landlord, who is responsible for maintaining the home, including pest management, which we have requested due to the large amounts of crickets and spiders everywhere inside and outside, but has done nothing about?

We have had it with this place and have given over 5 months and can no longer stand to live here. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

The one breaching lease is roommate and thus is not an issue to allow you to break your lease without consequence. Talk to landlord about roommate issue so he/she can act and take action on roommate. You have no action to escape lease without consequence

Your contract is with the landlord, not with the roommate. If you want to stay, talk to the landlord about your problem and make sure the landlord is aware that the discrepancies are not yours and that you can not correct them. Maybe the landlord would opt to only take action against the offending roommate rather than all of you.
You won't be able to terminate your lease because of your roommate's violations. That option belongs to the landlord.
If you are month to month you can give 30 days notice that you intend to move and find a better place to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back