Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Can I beat My Unlawful Possession of Alcohol Violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardk

Over the weekend I was in a bar drinking a beer in NY when a cop came over to me and asked me for my ID. I proceeded to give him my ID, but I am only 20 years old. He proceeded to take me outside and arrest me. He took me to the local police station where they released me on $100 bail, and wrote me a violation ticket for "unlawful possession of alcoholic beverages with intent to consume by persons under 21". While looking through NYS Alcoholic Beverage Control law, I noticed that in Article 5, Paragraph 65 - C, bullet number 3, the law states "Any person who unlawfully possesses an alcoholic beverage with intent to consume may be summoned before and examined by a court having jurisdiction of that charge; provided, however, that nothing contained herein shall authorize, or be construed to authorize, a peace officer as defined in subdivision thirty-three of section 1.20 of the criminal procedure law or a police officer as defined in subdivision thirty-four of section 1.20 of such law to arrest a person who unlawfully possesses an alcoholic beverage with intent to consume." The way I interpret this, the officer did not have authorization to arrest me, therefore I should not be summoned to court, and the case should be dismissed. Although I know the best thing to do in this situation would be to hire a lawyer, I'm just a college kid with no extra money. I was wondering if my reasoning here is justified, and whether you believe this would stand in court if I plead not guilty and contest it.

Last edited:
Plead not guilty and ask the court to appoint an attorney to represent you.

In the meantime, stay the heck outta bars until you're 21.

You do know the owner of the bar who served you could lose his license for serving you.

I agree with army judge. Stay out of bars until you reach 21. You have the rights to be represented by an Attorney

Rights come from actual possession of your private property,

you cant be lawfully convicted of a crime by enjoying your property rights on your common property, the sidewalk.

exercising your rights is always lawful activity, as long as you dont violate other peoples legal rights.

its my understanding, thats not the case here as no damages to other people occured in the poster situation.

i hope this help.

have a nice day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back