Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Can I beat my Retail Theft charge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysblack

Illinois

I was arrested for retail theft. I went into a grocery store when i found out that I had got a raise at work. Happy, i was going to treat myself to a steak and a bag of good coffee. I had no cart to put the items in because that is all i planned to get. After getting the items i thought i better get some pop also. While walking over to the pop isle i place the steak and coffee in my coat. this way i could carry the case of pop.
When i got to the pop i noticed that the price must have been wrong. I approached a store clerk and asked about the cost. He said it was wrong and he would fix it. He said he would go get it for me. I told him, "I will get it later" then walked away from him with the intent to go get a cart to put my two items in along with the pop when i went back. I also figured I would get some fresh mushrooms to go with my steak. When I started to walk away to get a cart and the mushrooms, the store clerk told me "Come with me sir". I told him i was not done shopping. I told him i needed a cart because I wanted more stuff. I turned around and again began to walk and get a cart. Again the clerk said come with me sir. I asked him what this was about and he said you know why sir. I was brought to an office and the police were called. I told them I had not finished shopping, that I wasnt trying to leave the store, that I didnt even walk toward the exit or through or past the checkout . What are my chances of beating these charges ?

does the state statue apply ? can I win this case ?

(720 ILCS 5/16A‑4) (from Ch. 38, par. 16A‑4)
Sec. 16A‑4. Presumptions. If any person:
(a) conceals upon his or her person or among his or her belongings, unpurchased merchandise displayed, held, stored or offered for sale in a retail mercantile establishment; and
(b) removes that merchandise beyond the last known station for receiving payments for that merchandise in that retail mercantile establishment such person shall be presumed to have possessed, carried away or transferred such merchandise with the intention of retaining it or with the intention of depriving the merchant permanently of the possession, use or benefit of such merchandise without paying the full retail value of such merchandise.
(Source: P.A. 80‑352.)

As you already are aware concealment alone is a crime. You met this criteria and thus you were detained and charged. Beating it will be difficult as you cannot prove you did not intend to steal but store can prove you concealed

Use your right to remain silent.
This isn't about whether you can "beat" a charge.
It is about the state being able to prove you broke the law.
If you've kept your mouth closed, made no admission(s), or given any statement; that could be a very difficult task for the state.
Plead not guilty, hire a lawyer (with that nice raise), or ask the court to appoint one to represent you (if that raise wasn't that large); and keep your mouth closed.
Be patient and listen to your lawyer.
Whatever you do, don't be stupid and try to fix this yourself.

And, stay as far away from that store as you can.

Plus, don't make any more "mistakes" while this matter is pending!

Last edited:
As you describe it, you may be able to get around this. Yes, concealment is a crime, but read the statute you posted. It requires that you carry the items past the last point of purchase. From your description, it does not appear that you did that, so the crime may not have been complete. You are not presumed to have the intent of taking the merchandise until you pass beyond the last cash register. Had you actually gotten to the area where the carts were at (which I assume are at the door) then you would have carried the items far enough to complete the crime. If you were still within the store then you may be able to argue your way out of this... but your position of not knowing any better will be hard to explain. This is a matter of common sense, and the older you are the less believable your story will be.

Last edited:
I was behind the registeres walking to go get a cart and mushrooms. I was at, but behind the last registers and was walking past merchandise when stopped. In total I would say I was aprox 40-60 feet from the exit and 35-45feet from the mushrooms. The mushrooms are along the wall the exit is near, aprox 15 feet away from each other. The carts are maybe 5 feet after entering the exit/store.

Last edited:
It could be interpeted you were heading for exit. Only a jury can really decide this. Your other problemis that a trial will cost much much more than any plea bargain. Discuss carefully your options with your Attorney as well as costs

If you lawyer up early on with the public defender and explain that you had not passed the registers you may have some luck getting the charge dismissed. If the lawyers can see that it is plainly obvious that you had not completed the crime then they may lose any interest in proceeding further on a petty offense. It does not matter that you might have been heading for an exit- all that matters is that you remained behind the registers.
The store may have video that shows exactly where you were at, and that may be available to use in your defense, or to be used against you.
At any rate, if after speaking with the public defender you feel you need private counsel then you should certainly do so. Personally, I wouldn't do too much until I was certain they intended to proceed after the first appearance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back