Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Can I be charged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs12

Yesterday, me and a friend were going fishing. His dad said he was out of beer and asked if I could pick him up a thirty pack. I agreed. After leaving the store, a cop car was behind us. My friends tags were expired on his truck. When we pulled into the fishing spot, they pulled up behind us. A search of the vehicle led to three marijuana pipes being found. My friend admitted to them being his. I am 21, he is 20. The cop said I could be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor since I had the unopened beer in the bed of the truck. Neither one of us had drank any of it so I don't see how that makes any sense. They ended up just giving my friend a warning for the tags and made him throw the pipes away. Then they gave us a phone number and said we have to call the cop to snitch on people in the area. He made it seem like if we don't agree, we will be charged with the original crime. My question is, can I be charged with anything, since the beer was unopened and we weren't drinking?

New Mexico Statute:

Felony (4th degree): Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor: "any person committing any act or omitting the performance of any duty, which act or omission causes or tends to cause or encourage the delinquency of of any person under the age of 18 years, 30-6-3.

You are in the clear. Do yourself a favor and don't ever call that number.
Your 20 year old friend is underage for alcohol, but is not considered a minor regarding the delinquency offense.
The cop was just trying to get information out of you.
Never allow police to search you or your vehicle even if you have nothing to hide. They may find a reason to do it anyway, but your consent makes everything easy. Always refuse permission and ask if you are free to leave.

Thank you for your reply. So there is no way that they can press the charges if we don't call the number? My friend wasn't cited for the paraphernalia, they made him throw them away. I thought the whole thing was kind of strange.

The only real offense is the possession of the pipes which is likely only an infraction offense. If no citations were issued at the time you won't hear any more of this. You have nothing to gain by calling them, and nothing to lose by not calling. Forget about it.

Based on what you posted, it is very doubtful you will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back