Consumer Fraud Can I be Arrested For Someone Saying I Owe Them Money??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel90

About two months ago in New Hampshire I had my car fixed by an individual I found on craigslist. From the start this was a disaster and the person had the car for almost a full month. I know, I know, mistake one was finding someone on craigslist. I was told the repairs would be around 2,000 dollars. In fact, I said that this was all I wanted to spend. Well when the time came around to pick my car up the repairs were 3,000 or around there. I told the individual I could pay 2,000 now to get my car, and I would come back a few days later with the other 1,000. When I came to get my car (with a whitness), I paid 2,000 cash and was given a reciept. I left, and then came back a few days later with the same indivudal and paid the final 1,000 dollars. I was given no reciept but I thought nothing of it at the time. Now here we are almost three months later, and I get a call from the New Hampshire State Police saying that they were going to put a warrent out for my arrest since someone said I didn't pay a debt! I just don't understand how this could be. First off, an indivudal fixed my car, not a business. How should I go about this?

Are you absolutely sure that the call you received was REALLY from the NH state police, and not someone trying to intimidate you into paying more? This is not my area of expertise, but logic would indicate that it's not really smart to call someone on the phone, and say they they're planning to apply for a warrant. Wouldn't it make more sense to apply for the warrant, get it, and then show up at the door with it - that is, if you really are the NH state police in the first place.

Police agencies don't collect debts.

Police agencies don't issue warrants.

I wouldn't pay anything because of a telephone call.

But, I'd contact the state police and apprise them if the call.

They would be interested in who is posing as a state police officer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

State Police

That is what I find so strange...It was 100% the state police that called. I knnow this, because I called the number back and they answered with "_____ state police trooper _____ how can I help you?" His exact words were "Well I am going to issue a warrent and you can come turn yourself in and you two can fight it out in court." I called him back and gave him the phone number of the individual who was with me that witnessed me pay the 2,000 and the 1,000 a couple days later and he didn't call back all day...

It was 100% the state police that called. I knnow this, because I called the number back and they answered with "_____ state police trooper _____ how can I help you?"

This doesn't prove anything but perhaps a really good CON.

Have you verified the phone number by simply looking in the phone book for the real NH state police? If the number is different, call the real NH police and ask if the number you have is perhaps another phoneline within their department.

I suspect it is not.

Last edited:
FlaRiptide said:
This doesn't prove anything but perhaps a really good CON.

Have you verified the phone number by simply looking in the phone book for the real NH state police? If the number is different, call the real NH police and ask if the number you have is perhaps another phoneline within their department.

I suspect it is not.

Dude, you and I know about great CONS. Cons involving millions of dollars!

This isn't even an okay con.

This was just a stupid con.

Barnum is always right isn't he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back