can I back out of selling, an return receit ?

sweetiesweet

Jurisdiction
Maine
I am selling a puppie, took a deposit, The woman scares me, an i don't want to sell to her, fear that the pup might get hurt in her home (too many children too young). Pup will be about 2- 2 1/2 lbs at adult hood, I don't want to sell to her. I did put on the receit it is a final sale the deposit amount an what is owed. She didn't sign it, I did, she wanted me to sign a paper from her lawyer on a contract, i declined. Now she scares me more she might hurt the dog an try to sue me. Been dealing animals for 20+ years an this is a first, for any problems, i have been lucky. I want to back out. Do I have the right to return the deposit ?

Sorry, but you have a contract and you are bound by it. The dog is property, just like your TV or car. If she comes up with the balance you'll have to turn over the dog. Otherwise, she can sue you for specific performance, and win.

That being said, if you want to risk it, just send her back the money with a letter that you decided not to sell the dog. Then hope she doesn't sue you.

Sorry, but you have a contract and you are bound by it. The dog is property, just like your TV or car. If she comes up with the balance you'll have to turn over the dog. Otherwise, she can sue you for specific performance, and win.

That being said, if you want to risk it, just send her back the money with a letter that you decided not to sell the dog. Then hope she doesn't sue you.

Just one comment on the wise advice offered above.
You can be sued for breach of contract, if you fail to release the animal upon full payment.

I suggest you obey what you previously agreed to do.

Back