1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

can he do that? Roomate

Discussion in 'Roomate & Joint Leases' started by andreabloyd, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andreabloyd

andreabloyd Law Topic Starter New Member

i visit my boyfriends apartment three to four times a week, and spend the night once maybe twice a week. last week his landlord asked if i was "living there" he claimed that daily visits, not even overnight ones constitutes residency, and said that he would have to raise my boyfriends rent if that were the case. is that legal?

2. jharris352

jharris352 New Member

I doubt it. I'll refer this to GailinGA she is very good at rental questions.

3. NY_Shark

NY_Shark New Member

That would depend on how many people are living in the apartment, as well as the square footage and number of bedrooms. If it is a "normal" sized apartment and he lives alone, then no, the landlord cannot do that.

If he has roommates, it gets a little more complicated. More information would be needed.

4. andreabloyd

andreabloyd Law Topic Starter New Member

it's a small one bedroom. he lives there alone.

5. jharris352

jharris352 New Member

Part of quiet enjoyment of a residence is the ability to have visitors. Visitors can even stay overnight. Visitors can stay for a week. This landlord is being greedy and I'm almost certain that he can not count you as a live in if you just visit everyday and sleep over less than 50% of the time.

andreabloyd likes this.
  6. Gail_in_Georgia

Gail_in_Georgia Moderator

Does the lease cover the issue of guests? Because there is often a fine line between "guests" and "residents", many leases will go into detail on even the number of visits in a week that defines the difference between the two.

Gail